Pioneers ok? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Pioneers ok?

emolina

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
First of all, happy holidays and/or merry Xmas to all.
I'm thinking about upgrading my front speakers to Pioneer TS-6895, 6X8 2-way. I have the ford prem. radio (not the JBL). I'm on a limited budget.
Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

newbz

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Custom
I'd do it, I put pioneer 6 1/2 Coaxial 3-ways in my front doors and it sounds amazing, HUGE difference

Nate46290

Reaction score
City, State
Where the parties are common and the cops arn't
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport
Its all prefrence. I would go and listen to them and see if you like them or not. I personally have no idea how they sound so i can tell you. All i can say is test before you buy.

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I've got the pioneers in the rear. I had a set of 6x8's in the front but I didn't like the way they sounded upfront. So I bought components.

Steve

fordkrazy

Reaction score
City, State
Plantation FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt 4x2
if you cant spend alot of money on high quality speakers for the front then get cheap ones. the location of the speakers is not optimal for good sound quality. the highs on the left side are blocked by the driver and the right sides are blocked by a passanger.

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Usually when it comes to car audio you get what you pay for. For example, look at E-bay. They have auctions for six 12" subs and a 1500 watt amp going for $150. You know that stuff is gonna be crap. Almost any speaker you buy will be better than the stockers. The Pionners will make a huge difference in the sound quality of you stereo. My Pioneer's play loud and clear, even though one of the woofer cones has a hole in it. (my mistake, wasn't too happy about that)

Steve

<<MONOCHROMOUS>>

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC 70 Torino 351
i just put in my pioneer 6865s, the 3ways, and i love them. havent upgraded the head unit or anything, i had ford premium speakers before, which were just fine, but i couldnt think of anything else i wanted for christmas!! PS, my ford premiums are for sale, make me an offer

96_explorer.com

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TeXaS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
3ways are a better route to go. Butr pioneer is awsome. You can't go wrong

emolina

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll have to go for it.

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
You could do what I did originally and buy 3 ways for the front and 2 ways for the back. This way you save $20-$40 and your front sound stage has a more defined higher range than the rear fill. This will help with you imaging.

Steve

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
If you want the Pioneer's and there is Best Buy in your area. They have been running adds lately buy one set get one 50% off. Their ads cycle through about once a month. The 3-ways are $100 a pair so 150 for 4. 2-ways are $80, $120 for 4.

I put the Pioneer's in mine and they sound good.