pipeing/ tubeing bender

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
what would be a good bender to buy? im going to build bumpers, sliders and a snorkle , soo i need it to go up to 3" tube, and then it has to cost under $300

which one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95offroadx said:
what would be a good bender to buy? im going to build bumpers, sliders and a snorkle , soo i need it to go up to 3" tube, and then it has to cost under $300

which one?

No such thing for a tubing bender up to 3" under
$300. Might be able to use a bottle jack kind that's for pipe

As mentioned before benders that do 3" are thoulsands of dollars. You can buy a pipe bender for around $75 but I call them a kink-o-matic because that is what they are good at when using tube. I use a pro-tools 105 HD bender converted to hydro for my tubework. I have a 1.25" and 1.75" die. It is not cheap but does great work. Dies are around $200 each and I forgot how much the bender is. www.pro-tools.com

Why would you wanna build a snorkel out of steel tubing? Your looking for some serious denero for a up to 3" capacity bender : :eek: . The good low budget benders like the model 3 and model 4 dont go any higher than 2.5 inches.(model 3 Two inches). And your allready lookin at about a grand for the bender and 1 big die. And thats the basic kit no hydro hook up or nothing just your own muscle to crank on that arm.. Hydros around another 800-1000. And never use tube for pipe or vica versa in benders or for structual items..

splodo49 said:
Why would you wanna build a snorkel out of steel tubing? Your looking for some serious denero for a up to 3" capacity bender : :eek: . The good low budget benders like the model 3 and model 4 dont go any higher than 2.5 inches.(model 3 Two inches). And your allready lookin at about a grand for the bender and 1 big die. And thats the basic kit no hydro hook up or nothing just your own muscle to crank on that arm.. Hydros around another 800-1000. And never use tube for pipe or vica versa in benders or for structual items..

Well said, I was wondering my self about the 3" I wonder if he has checked the prices of tubing not pipe lately. $300 wont even get you much tubing let alone a bender. If this is a one time deal, he may be better off letting someone bend it for him, and then he can install it.

Use PVC or ABS plastic pipe and fittings for the snorkle.

You can get a $75 hydraulic ram bender from Harbor freight, that comes with 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", and 2" dies. However, it will only work with sch. 40 steel pipe. All other stuff, even thinwall electrical conduit, will just kink.

We've already had the big debate about whether pipe is strong enough for bumpers, sliders, etc, so if you want to see it search for it.

I personally own this bender and have built a front bumper for my explorer and my bro's dakota out of 2" sch 40 and 1-1/2" sch 40 respectively. Both are incredibly strong. I've had the whole front end of my explorer (both front tires off the ground) held up by the bumper offroad. It didn't bend or give at all. Another benefit of using pipe is that it can be obtained at the local home depot for a minute fraction of what tubing will cost you.

Hope that helps :D

I DON'T want to start another pipe vs. tube debate, we've already had it!!!!!! :fire:

[/QUOTE]
I DON'T want to start another pipe vs. tube debate, we've already had it!!!!!! :fire:[/QUOTE]

Hey if you want to run pipe on your rig. Its your own decision. I wouldn’t recommend it to other just to the fact that pipe is made to carry and transfer a substance from one point to another and not to be structural sound. Im not starting a debate. But I don’t wanna hear about someone getting hurt or maybe getting killed cuz they read somewhere that they could build a cage or something else out of piping and a cheapass bender..

Sigh..... here we go again.

This is the last thing I'm gonna say about pipe vs. tube in this thread:

Do some research and you'll find that pipe is made from the exact same materials and by the same process as HREW tubing. NO I didn't say DOM tubing, but that's overkill most of the time anyways.

Pipe and tube both have their uses. Pipe can be a safe, cost-effective alternative to tubing in non-structural applications such as bumbers, sliders, etc...

Remember that we are replacing a bumper made from sheet metal. I garuntee you that a properly built pipe bumper is going to be 10s if not 100s of times stronger than the stock bumper. And sliders.... ha! there weren't any to begin with.

So I probably woudn't use pipe for a cage or frame, but it is perfectly safe and suitable for bumpers, sliders, roof-racks, etc...

CodePoet said:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-BV60/index1a.html

ALL you ever wanted to know about steel . I can't get through it all...my eyes start to bleed LOL

Thanks for posting that site.

Just added that site to my favorites. Plus I'm ordering some of those books. He explained exactly why, in an earlier post I said that grade 5 bolts are sometimes bettter then grade 8 in some appllications. That's why I said in the post to use grade 5 not grade 8 to attach an explosiong proof bellhousing to the engine block. It is the sudden shock thing :confused:

lOL that's a whole new debate

yosh18981898 said:
Sigh..... here we go again.

This is the last thing I'm gonna say about pipe vs. tube in this thread:

Do some research and you'll find that pipe is made from the exact same materials and by the same process as HREW tubing. NO I didn't say DOM tubing, but that's overkill most of the time anyways.

Pipe and tube both have their uses. Pipe can be a safe, cost-effective alternative to tubing in non-structural applications such as bumbers, sliders, etc...

Remember that we are replacing a bumper made from sheet metal. I garuntee you that a properly built pipe bumper is going to be 10s if not 100s of times stronger than the stock bumper. And sliders.... ha! there weren't any to begin with.

So I probably woudn't use pipe for a cage or frame, but it is perfectly safe and suitable for bumpers, sliders, roof-racks, etc...
Sigh......ok you feel better....HA

Back