Pissing coolant from passenger side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pissing coolant from passenger side

acschilling

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
92 OHV Standard. Noticed a BIG wet spot underneath my truck after work. Radiator was basically empty. I topped off the radiator, started it without the cap on, got underneath and noticed a steady stream of coolant leaking somewhere from the passenger side. All the hoses are connected right and DRY! I opened up the glove compartment to see what I could see with the heater core but didn't notice much in there. Any ideas from where this leak could be coming?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are confident it isnt the heater core, could be the plastic vacuum valve just before the the heater core, connected to the hoses. had that disintegrate on me.

If you are confident it isnt the heater core, could be the plastic vacuum valve just before the the heater core, connected to the hoses. had that disintegrate on me.
That valve is on the interior side of the firewall? When I did the heater core replacement 8ish years ago I remember just two openings from the heater core for the hoses to connect to. No "valve". Coolant just circulates through it.

Coming off the engine or off the outside frame? If off the engine could be a freeze plug. Don't know if we have them on this engine or not, never had it out of the explorer to look at it. Just a guess. Arne.

If the core took a dump then it would be draining from the tube located against the passenger side exterior side of the firewall. You can see it just outboard of the passenger frame rail. It's beneath the blower motor. Perhaps a pinhole leak from one of the heater hoses?

If the hoses are dry and the heater core box is dry, more than likely you have a rusted core plug (freeze plug) in the block or cylinder head or a head gasket issue. Where is it dripping from? I had the core plug on the rear of the right side cylinder head fail on one of mine. It rusted through. You could try the cooling system sealers from the parts store, but it will by you time at best. It's weird to think these trucks are approaching 30 years old now.

The vacuum controlled bypass valve was only on the 94s for the change from R-12 to R-134 AC. The idea was to shut of coolant flow through the heater core to improve efficiency of the new 134 AC system, which isn't as effective in the older designs.

I think I found the source. Up front, slightly to the passenger side, above the water pump (didn't look wet) there is a lot of coolant coming out. Head gasket, lower intake?

Having same problem...can't find the leak...HELP!

I think I found the source. Up front, slightly to the passenger side, above the water pump (didn't look wet) there is a lot of coolant coming out. Head gasket, lower intake?
I had a pee stream leak coming from that same area a few years ago. It was lower intake gasket. I’ll find my thread on it if you want.

Back