Pitman arm, brakelines...more of those good ol' 5.5" ?'s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pitman arm, brakelines...more of those good ol' 5.5" ?'s

Josh S.

can't kick the habit
Reaction score
City, State
Seabeck, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 sport 4x4
Yo-I am going to attempt to install a superlift 5.5" lift starting on Friday and I have a few questions before I start. First of all, I know I need to get a pitman arm, but what is involved in installing these things? Do I need a puller to get it out of the power steering thingy?

Second, I've heard different opinions on whether or not I need extended brakelines...front, back, whatever. Do I need extended brakelines to run this kit? Alright, I think thats it for now. Thanks if you dudes respond.

I have heard of a pitman arm puller, but I just took mine to midas and had them do it for me. Those suckers are torqued like a...well, you know :D

As for the brake lines, yeah, you will need extended ones. In the back especially. The stock one wouldn't reach without some help, and I would hate to see what would happen while flexing or on a trail.

Hope I helped...

You will definatley need a puller to replace the pitman arm. You will also be much happier using an impact gun while trying to remove and install the nut that holds the pitman arm on.

Back