• Register Today It's free!

Pitman arm install

adrock430

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger XLT 4.0L
Hi all, I'm replacing my gear box on my 1994 ranger xlt 4x4 (4.0L) due to excessive play. I purchased a new pitman arm for the sake of it as well, so also not to deal with its removal, figured it'd be a bear after 23 yrs in the same position.

Anyway, I lined up the wheels and secured the steering wheel to eliminate play. No marks were made on the gear box or pitman arm, as both were being removed.

Question is, when the pitman arm is installed onto the gear box, should it go on easily initially? I've been able to get it line up and all but it isn't like it slides on perfectly to start. It seems to approx a millimeter off of the splines. Can I just tighten to get it on, or should i rotate the shaft just a touch? Just looking for some insight into how easily the arm should go on initially. Thanks

look at the shaft and arm you will notice that all of the splines were not cut you must line these up.
roscoe

Thanks roscoe. I was able to line these up, still didn't go in real easy. I had to tighten the nut to press on the arm a bit and then back off the nut and add the lock washer because there wasn't enough room to grab the threads with both on. This nut is going on like a bear, with significant torque required to get it any further (right now the nut is flush with the bottom of the threads. Just purchased a 3/4" breaker to get the rest on. Is this a typical experience for bolting on the pitman arm? I understand there will only be a few threads showing once fully tightened

yes mine has probably three threads or less.
roscoe

Back