dna1776

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Callsign
W3UFF
Greets~ In my search for a real center console, it appears that the best options are those from the 4x2 XLT models. But today, I ran across a factory installed PIU console for which I am attaching two pics, [junkyard quality resolution] to ask who may have seen or now owns this style. -- Quick description: No rectangular shifter opening, two drink compartments and a unknown circular item on the LHS* near where the leading edge of the floor shifter opening would be situated. Got the same flip up door to access the audio connectors and the flip up armrest looks like all the rest.

* Does this PIU have 'Terrain Control' option? Tough to tell with the sun doing a great 'washout' on the photo.

I am ordering two different consoles [from two different boneyards] to evaluate and will install the decided winner. The other I will post it, in the event someone else can use it for their upgrade project.

cheers ~dave

16PIU Console KX22045_LHV.jpg

16PIU Console KX22045_RHV.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks like a feature delete plate over the gear shift knob position. :dunno:

Well , I got fooled on that. It's just a piece of black plastic sitting there. Looks like the bottom of a plastic drink cup. LOL!

The opening for the console shifter was a rectangular opening about 4 inches long, like this photo from the other Explorer I visited.
The camera lens can fool the eye. Notice also the cup holders are not connected on the PIU console, but joined on the XLT model.
Looks like I get to choose which one to install.

cheers~ dave

16 PIU Console Knox22045-C_mod2.jpeg

16PIU Console Knox22045-A_mod1.jpeg

16PIU Console AG-R21037_TOP.jpg

That's also a Gen V PIU, not Gen VI.

Was at Colonial Ford in Plymouth, MA this morning and one of their new machines had that "civilian" style console. I couldn't make out the Window Sticker though (the tint was too dark to see through).

EDIT: that console apparently comes as part of the 65U - Interior Upgrade Package. On the 20s anyway.

Was at Colonial Ford in Plymouth, MA this morning and one of their new machines had that "civilian" style console. I couldn't make out the Window Sticker though (the tint was too dark to see through).

EDIT: that console apparently comes as part of the 65U - Interior Upgrade Package. On the 20s anyway.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Indeed it is.

That console comes with the SAP (street appearance package) on the utilities, also included is carpet and a cloth rear seat.

You could purchase that console trim and snap it onto a regular console as well, providing that there is no shifter in place.

Thanks reply and info!

In a couple of days, I will receive my first Interceptor. Super Excited!
It is 2020, Vermilion Red, with the 3.3 NA engine, with just a few hundred miles.

Currently, it has just the center console base plate.
I am looking to adding a "civillian" style console.
Not a whole lot of info about this console.
I guess b/c this option is not ordered that often.

Do Gen VI consoles show up on Ebay or the 2ndary market that often?
Any suggestions on where to find one?

You could purchase that console trim and snap it onto a regular console as well, providing that there is no shifter in place.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you take a Gen VI explorer center console, remove the appropriate exterior trim pieces, install it in a PIU then add the appropriate PIU exterior trim peices?

or are ALL the console parts different between the Gen VI Explorer and PIU?
Not sure the best way to ask this question.

Thanks!

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Greets~ In my search for a real center console, it appears that the best options are those from the 4x2 XLT models. But today, I ran across a factory installed PIU console for which I am attaching two pics, [junkyard quality resolution] to ask who may have seen or now owns this style. -- Quick description: No rectangular shifter opening, two drink compartments and a unknown circular item on the LHS* near where the leading edge of the floor shifter opening would be situated. Got the same flip up door to access the audio connectors and the flip up armrest looks like all the rest.

* Does this PIU have 'Terrain Control' option? Tough to tell with the sun doing a great 'washout' on the photo.

I am ordering two different consoles [from two different boneyards] to evaluate and will install the decided winner. The other I will post it, in the event someone else can use it for their upgrade project.

cheers ~dave

View attachment 328585

View attachment 328586
I am pretty sure that circle on the thing is for the shifter dial in a civilian Explorer that was just capped off, looks like a DIY cap off as well. I like the new Havis consoles for the factory console replacement dial shifters, they have internal speaker mounting and using Havis plates you can add storage or cup holders or armrests etc, as well as radios you might want.

Paul

I am pretty sure that circle on the thing is for the shifter dial in a civilian Explorer that was just capped off, looks like a DIY cap off as well. I like the new Havis consoles for the factory console replacement dial shifters, they have internal speaker mounting and using Havis plates you can add storage or cup holders or armrests etc, as well as radios you might want.

Paul
I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "shifter dial" Paul. The shifter itself has a rectangular opening as in the last picture in post #3 and the round opening to the right of it I believe is for the Terrain Management System control knob. Perhaps that is what you meant.

Peter

Back