City, State
Nashville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
2010 CVPI
Callsign
K1CAM
ow3gz12.jpg

My PIU is a former trooper vehicle and the equipment plate was looking pretty ugly with a ton of holes and adhesive residue. I wanted to install a speaker there for my ham radio gear, but replacing the equipment plate with a civilian speaker grille was something like $100 for the part. I ended up taking a low profile speaker from one of my parts radios and mounting it to the equipment plate with silicone RTV. I ordered speaker grille cloth from Amazon and covered the plate and speaker by wrapping and securing the cloth around the edges. It cost me under $10 in supplies and I think it looks as good as the factory option.

ow3gz12.jpg

My PIU is a former trooper vehicle and the equipment plate was looking pretty ugly with a ton of holes and adhesive residue. I wanted to install a speaker there for my ham radio gear, but replacing the equipment plate with a civilian speaker grille was something like $100 for the part. I ended up taking a low profile speaker from one of my parts radios and mounting it to the equipment plate with silicone RTV. I ordered speaker grille cloth from Amazon and covered the plate and speaker by wrapping and securing the cloth around the edges. It cost me under $10 in supplies and I think it looks as good as the factory option.

thanks for sharing. That looks really good and I thought it was a stick speaker when I opened your post. Do you know if the stock radio has an output if you did want to put a speaker for the radio in the same spot? Seems like doing what you did might be a cost effective way to add an additional al speaker up there. I was thinking of modifying mine to mount a wireless charging phone dock as another option.

Back