PIU - Electric seat for passenger side? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIU - Electric seat for passenger side?

throgmo

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer PIU
How do we "electrify" the passenger seat in a 2015 PIU that has the usual (driver electric, passenger manual) setup?

I've got a extra driver's side seat, and am imagining installing it on the passenger side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does your passenger seat have the occupant sensor in it? If it does and you replace it with a seat that doesn't have that sensor I don't know if that will affect the airbag system deployment in the event of a crash.

Peter

Does your passenger seat have the occupant sensor in it? If it does and you replace it with a seat that doesn't have that sensor I don't know if that will affect the airbag system deployment in the event of a crash.

Peter
Good point. Of course it does have a sensor. Sheesh, nuthin's easy any more. :(

Peter
I think you can transfer the sensor to the new seat. I believe the sensors are locked to the vehicle meaning you can't use a sensor from a different vehicle, it'll cause an airbag light for mismatching VINs.

...and if you have a console, you may not be able to reach the switches on a driver's seat once moved to the other side...

I’m answer to the original question there is no power on the passenger side you can either tap into the power wires from the driver seat or you could grab power from the large power harness in the front of the console area. I used a powered passenger seat and it everything worked as soon as it had power.

Using a drivers seat might be different or require some extra modifications depending on what features it had. Many of the driver seats expect a Memory module and additional wiring. However most of the under seat module and memory module can by bypassed if you connect the seat switch wires directly to the various motors and seat adjusters.

That’s what I did with my driver seat so the process should be the same assuming it bolts up and you can access the seat controls like the previous comments asked.

I think you can transfer the sensor to the new seat. I believe the sensors are locked to the vehicle meaning you can't use a sensor from a different vehicle, it'll cause an airbag light for mismatching VINs.

Oh, for Pete's sake...

...and if you have a console, you may not be able to reach the switches on a driver's seat once moved to the other side...

Yeah, this I was anticipating - passenger side seat has a blank panel where the switches would go- seems like should be surmountable.

I’m answer to the original question there is no power on the passenger side you can either tap into the power wires from the driver seat or you could grab power from the large power harness in the front of the console area. I used a powered passenger seat and it everything worked as soon as it had power.

Using a drivers seat might be different or require some extra modifications depending on what features it had. Many of the driver seats expect a Memory module and additional wiring. However most of the under seat module and memory module can by bypassed if you connect the seat switch wires directly to the various motors and seat adjusters.

There's a big plug under the passenger seat, with many connectors, looks just like the driver's side. As currently configured, apparently only needed for the airbag and the occupant sensor. But I'm guessing that it has juice and could support a power driver's seat if it's plugged into one.

Got the all the seats out of both cars today and will investigate further... maybe plug a power (driver side) seat into the passenger side and see what it thinks. And examine the passenger seat to see how easy it would be to move the seat occupant sensor.

I have seen differences between driver vs passenger side seat brackets (no surprise). Thinking a (wrecking yard) passenger-side powered seat bracket may be the solution for all these issues except possible airbag/occupant sensor/VIN mismatch codes.

Tried plugging the extra powered seat into the passenger side. Power function did not work.

Worse yet, sure enough now getting an airbag warning light. I just swapped seats from another PIU (same model year) into this one. Crap, these new cars are so touchy.

Passenger-side power seat dream on hold. Now off to search for a solution for my airbag light problem...

If you’re s
Tried plugging the extra powered seat into the passenger side. Power function did not work.

Worse yet, sure enough now getting an airbag warning light. I just swapped seats from another PIU (same model year) into this one. Crap, these new cars are so touchy.

Passenger-side power seat dream on hold. Now off to search for a solution for my airbag light problem...
if you’re swapping seats from the same or similar years the air bag sensors in the new seats will work. However when the bcm sees that you disconnected one of the sensors it will trip that light for the airbags.

I used forscan to erase the codes and check for the sensors. Doing that I was able to get the light to go off and have it properly recognize the new seats without swapping sensors. So give that a try and I think your light will go off.

I used forscan to erase the codes and check for the sensors. Doing that I was able to get the light to go off and have it properly recognize the new seats without swapping sensors. So give that a try and I think your light will go off.
That sounds good, thanks. I've got all the necessary hardware to use FORSCAN, guess I'll have to get around to downloading it.

That’s what I did with my driver seat so the process should be the same assuming it bolts up and you can access the seat controls like the previous comments asked.
I was able to find power wires in the car. Will be picking up a seat this weekend. How do I identify which wires going into the seat I need to connect too?

Back