• Register Today It's free!

PIU leftover wiring removal?

MoistSallyMosin12

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU
I have a 17 PIU. I have a PIU center console on the way. Want to remove this rats nest of wires, but I don't know what is factory and whats not, I don't want to just start cuttin wires blindly. Looking for some advice or suggestions on what I should do. I feel like I could get away with shoving them all under the console but not sure haha.

Thank you.

20220604_154735.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
After looking at that, I'm feeling like having spaghetti for supper.:)

Peter

Haha thanks, so far I've trimmed the ones I can tell go nowhere, which has made me think at this point if I can coil the rest up tight enough I might be able to just shove them under the console when I install it and call it a day.

I had a few old FPIU harnesses left in my 2013 and some cut wires that were live and sparky! I disconnected and saved the harnesses and that cut down most of the spaghetti, before installing a civilian XLT console. I ended up having to run my own power to the new console. Another thing to consider: some of the 12v pairs are live even after the power is cut off. Some aren't.

LOL I have done the same and Pepe Le Pew is right they just don't give a fat rat's ass when they chop up the wiring and they leave the hot wires to short out which could cause a fire. Use a VOM and a wire tracer to do what you plan on doing. When you find a hot wire tape it off good until you find out where it goes. I have a 2017 and purchased the electrical book. BTW It does NOT tell you everything. The only thing that does tell you everything is the mechanics CD

Back