PIU Routine Maintanence | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIU Routine Maintanence

Mildot

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer PI
So I'm at the 116000 kms mark, and I'm thinking about what "service' would be applicable, and what's a good investment for my vehicle at this stage. My vehicle didn't come with an "owners" manual, so I'm actively looking the PDF online. That said, changing the tranny fluid comes to mind, however the dealer suggests a "flush" and not changing the filter. I'll be honest, I haven't owned too many newer vehicles past the 100000 km,,or like ones with an OLM etc. I'm just wondering from others experience what should be done and some of the "life expectancy" of the fluids for newer SUV's like mine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, looks like most "stuff" should be done at 160000kms

PTU fluid should be changed every 30-40K MI/US, in my opinion, PIU or otherwise. Unofficial recommendation, but I stand by it.

Thanks, looks like most "stuff" should be done at 160000kms
There's generally a "normal" and severe maintenance schedule. The normal pretty much calls out a "lifetime" or 100K mile interval for all of the big items and probably about 10K miles for oil changes.

Under a severe schedule, PTU/trans/RDU fluid changes are every 30K, spark plugs every 60K and coolant is 100K, but you should check ph regularly and replace as needed if ph gets out of range. Part of maintenance is regularly inspecting things, not just leaving everything static until you hit a magic number and then replacing a part. I check my engine air filter every oil change, but typically only replace it once a year. I check my cabin air filter once a year and replace as needed. Brake inspection is called out every oil change - I check/clean/lube mine once a year.

Your call on which schedule you want to follow. Maintenance items can be purchased for very little from places like rock auto. I regularly get private label and brand name engine and cabin air filters for less than $5, synthetic oil and filter changes run me $20-25, coolant drain and fill is <$10 per vehicle with Motorcraft orange, PTU fluid change is <$10, trans fluid drain and fill is <$25, wiper blades <$5/ea. My typical annual maintenance cost is about $100/per vehicle, give or take, plus a little of my time. If you have to pay someone else to do basic maintenance, it can run upwards of $1K or more annually, so most people don't bother.

So I’m thinking about doing the plugs. Trying to find parts on amazon and was wondering if the spark plugs, upper intake gasket and the pvc valve are the same on the 3.5 as it is in the 3.7? One they show is fel-pro ms 97214, v397 pvc valve and motorcraft sp-520

Check the Ford parts website. Enter in your vin. Amazon's website is terrible for matching up model and parts.

So I’m thinking about doing the plugs. Trying to find parts on amazon and was wondering if the spark plugs, upper intake gasket and the pvc valve are the same on the 3.5 as it is in the 3.7? One they show is fel-pro ms 97214, v397 pvc valve and motorcraft sp-520
How many miles on the current plugs? Have you pulled any to check condition and gap? Any plug relates problems?

Not saying it's right, but lots of mechanics/shops don't replace any gaskets when doing plugs. If you don't damage them and don't have any gasket related issues to begin with, you likely can do the same.

How many miles on the current plugs? Have you pulled any to check condition and gap? Any plug relates problems?

Not saying it's right, but lots of mechanics/shops don't replace any gaskets when doing plugs. If you don't damage them and don't have any gasket related issues to begin with, you likely can do the same.
Bought it used so I can’t be sure as there were very few records. But it has over 14000 hrs and 104k miles so if it’s never been done it’s way over due

If it was in service with le, it should have been maintained to some degree. Either replace fluids and maintenance stuff to establish your own baseline, or at least pull the front plugs to have a look at them and check gap, then decide on whether to regap or replace all.

Howdy! New poster, necro thread. This seemed better than starting a new thread since there is some good info here. I'm just beginning my journey of consideration of a PIU. I like the idea of the "extra bits" but I am leery of the actual level of maintenance that the fleet owner would have done. I have read the threads on the PTU fluid and the timing chain/water pump. I like to do my own work, but there's a limit the older I get!

With that said, should I look for well under 100K units or a bit over? If under, with my 10K miles per year driving habits, based on miles alone, I could judge the time until some of the more major stuff needs to be done. I know idling plays a big role with these, so that begs the question: would a vehicle with 105-110K miles have had the water pump changed? Do fleets changed them based on the "severe" category, and would an 80K mile unit have had it done?

Everything I'm looking at to replace one of my two vehicles with has some "major" thing to keep in mind, but I think I am ready to jump ship from GM as I don't like the engine issues the Traverse/Acadia platform has been plagued with. Not sure if the newer ones have corrected this, but newer = more $$, and I'm a working stiff. I haven't had a Ford since my 1986 Taurus (2.5 w/ 5-speed) that I sold in 1994 along with a clapped out Ranger that I picked up and kept for a few months about the same time. I need something with some decent towing capacity as I have a small cabin cruiser and use the Trailblazer as the tow vehicle. My wife's Sportage won't do it but it is a great winter vehicle. They will both be replaced within the next 2 years or less but I think the Kia may go first as I would have to do some mods on the PIU to make it a tow vehicle. That all depends on when I purchase the PIU, assuming I do of course.

My normal routine when I buy a used vehicle is to change just about any maintenance item to have a baseline, but you can only tackle so much at once on a daily driver. Thanks for any thoughts and experiences.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Howdy! New poster, necro thread. This seemed better than starting a new thread since there is some good info here. I'm just beginning my journey of consideration of a PIU. I like the idea of the "extra bits" but I am leery of the actual level of maintenance that the fleet owner would have done. I have read the threads on the PTU fluid and the timing chain/water pump. I like to do my own work, but there's a limit the older I get!

With that said, should I look for well under 100K units or a bit over? If under, with my 10K miles per year driving habits, based on miles alone, I could judge the time until some of the more major stuff needs to be done. I know idling plays a big role with these, so that begs the question: would a vehicle with 105-110K miles have had the water pump changed? Do fleets changed them based on the "severe" category, and would an 80K mile unit have had it done?

Everything I'm looking at to replace one of my two vehicles with has some "major" thing to keep in mind, but I think I am ready to jump ship from GM as I don't like the engine issues the Traverse/Acadia platform has been plagued with. Not sure if the newer ones have corrected this, but newer = more $$, and I'm a working stiff. I haven't had a Ford since my 1986 Taurus (2.5 w/ 5-speed) that I sold in 1994 along with a clapped out Ranger that I picked up and kept for a few months about the same time. I need something with some decent towing capacity as I have a small cabin cruiser and use the Trailblazer as the tow vehicle. My wife's Sportage won't do it but it is a great winter vehicle. They will both be replaced within the next 2 years or less but I think the Kia may go first as I would have to do some mods on the PIU to make it a tow vehicle. That all depends on when I purchase the PIU, assuming I do of course.

My normal routine when I buy a used vehicle is to change just about any maintenance item to have a baseline, but you can only tackle so much at once on a daily driver. Thanks for any thoughts and experiences.

i think the total number of hours the vehicle has been in service is a better indicator of wear than mileage. Of course the lower mileage ones will have less hours. When I was shopping I looked only at mileage and if carfax had said it was accident free. Bit me in the ass later when I discovered it had over 10k hours and required a water pump after 8 months and putting 10k miles on it.

Thanks @Volksjager . Is it easy to get the total and idle hours? I have seen a couple of pictures of Interceptors with idle hours displayed on the screen. I don't want a dealer to tell me they can't get it if I find one I'm really interested in.

Thanks @Volksjager . Is it easy to get the total and idle hours? I have seen a couple of pictures of Interceptors with idle hours displayed on the screen. I don't want a dealer to tell me they can't get it if I find one I'm really interested in.

Should be at the bottom of system check in the menu.

Back