PIU With Rear door disable - also disabled the lift gate!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIU With Rear door disable - also disabled the lift gate!?

hardware1197

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Police Utility
Got my 2020 PIU which has the "ready for the road" package.....by Ford wisdom, this option includes the rear door hardware delete which I can live with but.......what's new to me is that it also has appeared to disable the rear hatch power switch so you can only open the hatch with the key......anyone know how hard that is to undo smartly? Nothing in the upfitters guide!

-Dave

k8a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really like the colour Dave. IF everything that is needed to allow for power liftgate operation is in place, you may be able to activate it with FORScan by changing some factory settings. There are members who are familiar with that programming system who may be able to assist. Here is a thread from the 2011 - 2019 PIU forum you can check out.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I have a very rare Arizona Beige (E3) Interceptor! Thanks for the info - I'm not even looking to have the power lift gate, but that would be great, I was just hoping to open the lift gate without a key using the button!

-Dave

Really like the colour Dave. IF everything that is needed to allow for power liftgate operation is in place, you may be able to activate it with FORScan by changing some factory settings. There are members who are familiar with that programming system who may be able to assist. Here is a thread from the 2011 - 2019 PIU forum you can check out.

Peter

For the benefit of anyone who cares or has a similar issue: NO the rear liftgate latch is NOT deleted as part of the Door Lock inop option from ford. It turns out that between the factory and Troy Design and Manufacturing (the contractor that up-fits the police equipment) somehow a connector was unplugged... C4488 - which also explained why the camera on demand and rear parking aid camera did not function.....

I popped open the rear trim panel and lookie there!

All good now!

c_rear1.jpeg

c_rear2.jpeg

c_rear3.jpeg

Thanks Peter,

I have a very rare Arizona Beige (E3) Interceptor! Thanks for the info - I'm not even looking to have the power lift gate, but that would be great, I was just hoping to open the lift gate without a key using the button!

-Dave

Thanks very much for reporting back and the picture/diagrams. That should be very helpful to other members with the same problem.:thumbsup:

Peter

As an Update to the Option 52P Door Lock Delete un delete it's really an interesting and simple operation.....

There are T27 Torx screws holding on some plastic plates like thiis:

IMG_0625.JPEG

Unlike previous similar deletes, interestingly all the hardware, door and window functions are still connected, and intact under the panels. No missing linkages, or disconnected harnesses as with the Crown Vic and 5th Gen.

Simply remove the panels with a torx:
62d805bd-ec08-4690-8167-ce653167ee88.jpg

. As you can see it leaves you with some rather un-elegant holes.....

To solve this I thought of cutting some aluminum plates, but in stead I just bought 16 3/16" stainless washers for a bit of style and replaced the screws to cover the holes.

IMG_0815.JPEG

It should be noted that the child locks are set engaged and that can be switched back to normal, and there is still a hidden plunger in the B pillar area when the passenger door is open!

I can now have passengers who are not captives.....

-Dave

As an Update to the Option 52P Door Lock Delete un delete it's really an interesting and simple operation.....

View attachment 326476

Unlike previous similar deletes, interestingly all the hardware, door and window functions are still connected, and intact under the panels. No missing linkages, or disconnected harnesses as with the Crown Vic and 5th Gen.

View attachment 326478

To solve this I thought of cutting some aluminum plates, but in stead I just bought 16 3/16" stainless washers for a bit of style and replaced the screws to cover the holes.

View attachment 326477

It should be noted that the child locks are set engaged and that can be switched back to normal, and there is still a hidden plunger in the B pillar area when the passenger door is open!

-Dave

Thank you so much!

I was in for a Bronco but a certain bit, ok a LOT, of passenger floor rust now has me thinking of a PIU. Finally found a dealer willing to sell to the civilian public.

Noticed this on the For brochure, not able to see inside the units on the vehicle lot this morning because of the depth of the privacy tint.

Your posts, and those above, are VERY uplifting!

Thank you!

Got my 2020 PIU which has the "ready for the road" package.....by Ford wisdom, this option includes the rear door hardware delete which I can live with but.......what's new to me is that it also has appeared to disable the rear hatch power switch so you can only open the hatch with the key......anyone know how hard that is to undo smartly? Nothing in the upfitters guide!

-Dave

View attachment 319139
WOW you are so lucky to find such a GEM!
I have been combing and searching for the SAME vehicle you have there...

I have come close to purchasing one for myself but these FPIU's keep slipping through
my fingers.

You have a VERY rare car and I impressed that you found one.

I am an aircraft mechanic and I so badly wish that Ford would sell a Utility vehicle without
all of the police gear.

I shall continue my search and will look near the Vegas area and hope maybe there is some there
that I can find!

I am a fleet customer and have a FIN. This is the only way to buy a PIU direct from Ford. No Ford dealer can circumvent this fact. There is a process, though, where during production or upfit the vehicle is damaged beyond a certain $ amount, they send the vehicle to be auctioned to a wholesaler. Usually this is Manhiem auto auctions. So if you know a used car dealer with access to the Manhiem site, you can keep an eye out. They damage A LOT of cars. Usually a fender or door or bumper. There are some gems there.

-hardware

WOW you are so lucky to find such a GEM!
I have been combing and searching for the SAME vehicle you have there...
Welcome to the Forum Tyler. :wave:

Peter

I somehow found and purchased a 2022 Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.0L from a Dealer in Jacksonville.

I was able to get a console from Havis for it too, and I am still in the "shock and awe" phase!

Your's looke reeealllly nice btw!

I somehow found and purchased a 2022 Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.0L from a Dealer in Jacksonville.

I was able to get a console from Havis for it too, and I am still in the "shock and awe" phase!

Your's looke reeealllly nice btw!
Thanks. It will do in a pinch. What color is yours?

The color is just the agate black, nothing fancy.

That would have been my preferred color, but one wasn't available. Oh well, Carbonized Gray is dark enough.

I didn't have to worry about a console since mine has the Interior Upgrade Package (which was another one of my requirements).

That would have been my preferred color, but one wasn't available. Oh well, Carbonized Gray is dark enough.

I didn't have to worry about a console since mine has the Interior Upgrade Package (which was another one of my requirements).
That Carbonized Gray was on my radar, but I liked the black better.

That Beige Gold color would really look nice (not sure about the long term).

I do appreciate how easy agate black is to pain match for touch ups.

I have 400 Miles on mine now, bought it at 7 miles.

How many have you logged so far?

That Carbonized Gray was on my radar, but I liked the black better.

That Beige Gold color would really look nice (not sure about the long term).

I do appreciate how easy agate black is to pain match for touch ups.

I have 400 Miles on mine now, bought it at 7 miles.

How many have you logged so far?
Little over 8,000 in just under a year.

View attachment 326476

View attachment 326478

View attachment 326477

-Dave
I haven't fixed the back doors yet and told the better half that all passengers in the back MUST wear handcuffs or be hog tied.
For some odd reason not only did she not believe me but she told me I was full of something!

I haven't fixed the back doors yet and told the better half that all passengers in the back MUST wear handcuffs or be hog tied.
For some odd reason not only did she not believe me but she told me I was of something!
What is the issue with the back doors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the issue with the back doors?
Waiting for warmer weather as I don't have a place to pull it into. I need to remove the panel and hook up the cable so that she can open the door to get out. When someone is in the front that is where she likes to sit!

Back