PIU With Rear door disable - also disabled the lift gate!? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIU With Rear door disable - also disabled the lift gate!?

Got my 2020 PIU which has the "ready for the road" package.....by Ford wisdom, this option includes the rear door hardware delete which I can live with but.......what's new to me is that it also has appeared to disable the rear hatch power switch so you can only open the hatch with the key......anyone know how hard that is to undo smartly? Nothing in the upfitters guide!

-Dave

View attachment 319139
Hi Dave, I just got a 2020 PIU with 3.3L AWD and Hybrid. Looking forward to some good mileage (and this thing is FAST!). I have the three button PIU fob (I just bought an extra, trying to get it programmed- having trouble with that- Batteries Plus is supposed to be able to do it, but no luck so far), but here's the deal with the trunk unlock.

The blue hatch button on the fob is to unlock the hatch, but I believe it only unlocks it for about 15 seconds (you still have to push the latch button on the hatch to open it). My nephew's work car is also a 2020 (Will Co., IL Sheriff) and he has a separate button on his overhead panel that does the same thing (I do not have that button).

BTW, the PIU fob seems to be unique, available online for $45, but the local Ford dealer wants $156 to program it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Dave, I just got a 2020 PIU with 3.3L AWD and Hybrid. Looking forward to some good mileage (and this thing is FAST!). I have the three button PIU fob (I just bought an extra, trying to get it programmed- having trouble with that- Batteries Plus is supposed to be able to do it, but no luck so far), but here's the deal with the trunk unlock.

The blue hatch button on the fob is to unlock the hatch, but I believe it only unlocks it for about 15 seconds (you still have to push the latch button on the hatch to open it). My nephew's work car is also a 2020 (Will Co., IL Sheriff) and he has a separate button on his overhead panel that does the same thing (I do not have that button).

BTW, the PIU fob seems to be unique, available online for $45, but the local Ford dealer wants $156 to program it.
I highly doubt batteries plus can program the fob. Only high end diagnostic equipment and Ford FDRS can program them. If you don't have the button for the liftgate timer, the vehicle likely has the global unlock option which means the lock status of the liftgate follows the lock status of the passenger doors. So use the power locks and unlock all the doors and see if you can go back and just open the hatch. If you can, you have no timer and the correct fob for that vehicle has a panic button, not a liftgate button.

I highly doubt batteries plus can program the fob. Only high end diagnostic equipment and Ford FDRS can program them. If you don't have the button for the liftgate timer, the vehicle likely has the global unlock option which means the lock status of the liftgate follows the lock status of the passenger doors. So use the power locks and unlock all the doors and see if you can go back and just open the hatch. If you can, you have no timer and the correct fob for that vehicle has a panic button, not a liftgate button.
I have tried the "global unlock" on my fob, but that does not unlock the hatch. That is strictly done by the blue button on the fob.

I have the three button PIU fob (I just b My nephew's work car is also a 2020 (Will Co., IL Sheriff) and he has a separate button on his overhead panel that does the same thing (I do not have that button).

What do you have up there instead of the button? I have remote entry AS WELL AS that button on my '21.

Pictures might be useful here. ;)

Peter

You are opening it with the fob how? What button? The PIU's rear hatch only works 1 of two ways. Default package is the 45 second timer. That would have the timer button in the overhead console and if a key fob is programmed to the vehicle it would have the blue liftgate button that activates the 45 second timer to hold the liftgate unlocked for 45 seconds before re-locking.

The option package to eliminate the timer is known has global unlock. The timer button doesn't exist in the overhead console. The lock status of the liftgate follow that of the passenger doors. If a fob is assigned to the vehicle depending on how the lock settings are differs how the liftgate status will work. For the FOB, if driver door unlock on first press is selected then 2 presses of the fob unlock button will be needed to unlock the liftgate. If ALL DOORS are selected on the first press of the fob unlock then only 1 press of the unlock button on the fob is needed to unlock the liftgate. The power lock/unlock switch on the front door panels can also unlock the liftgate by pressing unlock once which unlocks ALL doors.

If you don't know which one your vehicle was built with send me your VIN via direct message on the site and I can look it up and tell you.

One possibility if it actually is set up with the timer feature is that for some reason the overhead console was replaced by one that just didn't have the timer button in it.

OK, here goes.

The hatch ONLY works via the BLUE button on the fob.
I have no timer button on the overhead console. (My nephew, on his active duty 2020 Explorer PIU has one, he was told the timer is good for 15 seconds, not 45.)
One push on the "Unlock" button on the fob unlocks only the driver's door. A second push unlocks all the doors EXCEPT for the hatch.

There appear to be a great number of options regarding programming and features on the PIUs, like the deletion of rear door inside handles and switches, and the trailer lighting module, both of which are issues with this vehicle.

................................. (My nephew, on his active duty 2020 Explorer PIU has one, he was told the timer is good for 15 seconds, not 45.)
From the 2020 PIU Manual;
"A warning lamp illuminates in the instrument cluster for 45 seconds. See Warning Lamps and Indicators (page 80). You can then open the liftgate using the exterior liftgate release button."

Peter

OK, here goes.

I have no timer button on the overhead console. (My nephew, on his active duty 2020 Explorer PIU has one, he was told the timer is good for 15 seconds, not 45.)
One push on the "Unlock" button on the fob unlocks only the driver's door. A second push unlocks all the doors EXCEPT for the hatch.

There appear to be a great number of options regarding programming and features on the PIUs, like the deletion of rear door inside handles and switches, and the trailer lighting module, both of which are issues with this vehicle.
It’s been messed with. Either someone swapped overhead consoles or reprogrammed it and removed the global unlock feature and added the fob post factory. If you want to know for sure send me the vin and I can check. If you want a button inside you need to install the correct overhead console or install your own button.

OK, here goes.

I did get the vin. It came equipped with the timer setup. Someone must have swapped the overhead console. Also it didn’t come with fobs from the factory. That one was added after it left the factory

I got two fobs with the vehicle, I was adding a spare. There does not seem to be any alteration of the overhead console, but the center console (bare painted metal) has lots of places where things were removed, and cover plates installed. BTW, the USB port on the console is empty- no place to plug in my phone.

BTW, where were you able to check the details based upon my VIN? The only place I found online was a Ford VIN code page that just gave general information- make, model, engine, trans, AWD and Hybrid.

I got two fobs with the vehicle, I was adding a spare. There does not seem to be any alteration of the overhead console, but the center console (bare painted metal) has lots of places where things were removed, and cover plates installed. BTW, the USB port on the console is empty- no place to plug in my phone.

BTW, where were you able to check the details based upon my VIN? The only place I found online was a Ford VIN code page that just gave general information- make, model, engine, trans, AWD and Hybrid.
I looked at vehicle as built data and deciphered it was built with the liftgate timer and no fobs from the factory. So any fobs have been added post factory. I would suggest getting your hands on the window sticker. As a last resort they can be purchased on line.

You might want to start checking ebay and wrecker lots for an overhead console with the timer switch.

Just FYI...Ford Official Order guide terminology for the global unlock feature

Global Lock / Unlock feature (Door-panel switches will lock/unlock all doors and rear liftgate. Eliminates
overhead console liftgate unlock switch and 45-second timer. Also eliminates the blue liftgate release
button if ordered with Remote Keyless)
Code 18D - Optional

Got my 2020 PIU which has the "ready for the road" package.....by Ford wisdom, this option includes the rear door hardware delete which I can live with but.......what's new to me is that it also has appeared to disable the rear hatch power switch so you can only open the hatch with the key......anyone know how hard that is to undo smartly? Nothing in the upfitters guide!

-Dave

Looks fantastic!
Did not know Arizona Beige even existed. Very cool.

A month or so I purchased a 2020 Interceptor. I found one in Vermilion Red.
It had a pillar leak and was a ford buy back.
Guessing it originally belonged to a fire department.

@hardware1197 where did you find the detailed images.? I have several improvements I am trying to make and finding specs and info is a real search.

Question for all

Is the "Ready for the Road" package the same as the "Admin" package?
I think they are different, but I am not positive.

Want to add an OEM ford center console.
I think the console option comes with the PIU's that have carpet and rear cloth seats.

Made a few improvements, now it is time to figure out the center console.

ford-interceptor-2020-new-stevenjohnsonme.jpeg

Wow, that is a bright red. Although I'm not positive, I would 'guess' that the Ready for the Road package would be for those on patrol and the Admin Package would be for supervisors, etc. :dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks fantastic!
Did not know Arizona Beige even existed. Very cool.

A month or so I purchased a 2020 Interceptor. I found one in Vermilion Red.
It had a pillar leak and was a ford buy back.
Guessing it originally belonged to a fire department.

@hardware1197 where did you find the detailed images.? I have several improvements I am trying to make and finding specs and info is a real search.

Question for all

Is the "Ready for the Road" package the same as the "Admin" package?
I think they are different, but I am not positive.

Want to add an OEM ford center console.
I think the console option comes with the PIU's that have carpet and rear cloth seats.

Made a few improvements, now it is time to figure out the center console.

View attachment 429075

Negatory, Ready for The Road is specifically NOT available with the Admin Package (better known as Interior Upgrade Package). Interior Upgrade Package gives you essentially a civilian interior with a full console, carpet floor and floor mats, whereas ready for the road gives you a slew of emergency lights as well as a control unit.

Here's my 2017 Vermillion Red PIS with said admin package as well as my 2021 PIU also with admin package albeit NOT vermillion red lol.

PIS1.jpg Beach1.jpg

Back