PLAN B Build | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still bouncing around doing different things. Just a lot to do and going on. But we haven't seen any Spy pics here lately, so I thought I would offer a teaser:D

That's 2nd gen door wiring installed. Mirrors, locks and windows are all the same. Plug and play.:cool2:

full&d=1535272224.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Been following along - - awesome job so far. . . Glad you're going "Grabber" instead of "Crystal". . .

Least I can vicariously watch a 2 door being worked on. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

More WINNING!:D

Got the inner passenger door all painted and 2nd gen wires in. Also got the 2nd gen door locks in with I little perseverance, a step drill, and mallet:hammer:

The big win tonight was I got the sunroof back working. :thumbsup:

Before, turning the knob did nothing, and you could just push the sunroof up and it would fall back down. I planned to just buy a new one and cut a bigger hole, but I decided tonight to pull it apart and see what was going on. Mannaged to get the gear to match back up inside and found a proper length screw to hold the knob on and it all together internally. Now the knob turns and raises the sunroof and comes to firm stop, and then you can rotate it back down to a firm stop.

I can't guarantee it doesn't leak however, but then again... the entire roof is missing from the back so who cares:p. Seriously though, I will try to find a better seal for it though in the future.

so are you painting the whole thing that grabber blue color or are you going for a Gulf race car paint scheme?

Its really cool that you are taking all the stuff out of a 2nd gen and getting it all to work in the first gen sheet metal and frame.

I know you probably said it already, but are you using the 2nd gen wiring harness, heater assembly, and dash too? That would look awesome to have a 2nd gen dash in a first gen.

I'm using the complete wiring harness from the 2nd gen, but keeping the first gen dash.

The gulf paint job has crossed my mind, but I'll probably just leave it all one color with some orange accents here and there. Like brake calipers or something.

I had another idea, but not 100% sold on it. I was going to have hood decals made like a Jeep Rubicon that would say N A V A J O in dark grey with the orange shadowing. Then put them on the top of the fenders.

I had another idea, but not 100% sold on it. I was going to have hood decals made like a Jeep Rubicon that would say N A V A J O in dark grey with the orange shadowing. Then put them on the top of the fenders.

I thought you were turning this into a Bronco, not a Jeep.

I'm going to eventually remove my sunroof and weld in a panel to seal it up. I have a little roof droop at the back of it, that you don't notice, but the sunroof has a gap down to the seal of over 1/8", thus a big leak when it rains and you hit the brakes. I bought a new seal for it, and raised it a little by putting some RTV in the channel.

My seal is probably still pretty good, about eight years old. If you need one by next Spring maybe, I'll get it done and send it to you.

Did a little work this weekend. Got the 1st gen gas tank rivets out, and cut off the last of the roof rack. Progress continues, a little at a time.:cool2:

Now for a sexy picture....

full&d=1536562306.jpg

Looking good!

nice color!

Made a trip to the junkyard today. Haven't been there in years. I remember why I stopped going. Many times it's faster and cheaper just to order a new part online, unless of course that part doesn't exist anymore, which is what today's trip was all about.

So today was a good day. They got a Navajo in about 3 weeks ago, and I figured it was striped by now. But when I got there it was pretty much untouched. I guess nobody knows what it is anymore.:D

Picked up the following.
  • Entire grill assembly with header pannel
  • Headlights and side markers
  • Taillights
  • Automatic brake pedal assembly
  • Badges
  • Sunroof seal
  • 2nd gen evap manifold (this is the broken piece that I was trying to figure out where to get.

Long live the Mazda Sport!!
Junk yards have changed haven't they? I tell you is was quite refreshing to move away from Denver junk yards up here to the far north rural America where the real junk yards still exist, with good prices and an actual selection of parts!!

A Explorer Eulogy

It is at this time we pay tribute, to a life well served Explorer. This weekend I pulled the last of the parts from the donor a 2000 Sport, as soon it will be off to the crusher.

She born in a time when the forum had just started. Lived a fruitful life commuting probably. Then given a life to be a part of a military family and a part of our place called the explorer forum. There she would go on trail rides and visit places like truckhaven only to suffer a tragic spin out on a wet slippery road coming back from a trail ride one day. At this point she was thought to be done, left for dead and with a certain fate that was not yet to come. Miraculously she was saved and put out to pasture for 9 years. Where she was home to ferrel cats and some rats. (My kids called it the rat car). Over the last 6 months she brought back to life, but only to prepare her for her organs harvested for a higher cause. Now left with only skin and bones, she will go to her final resting place and become a toaster, or maybe a something better...

Her heart will go on and we thank for your service "rat car"
:salute:

Scrap trucks are always good for testing crazy thoughts and ideas. Mine sometimes provide entertainment, like my recently aquired 97 2wd v8 truck. Its crazy driving it like such, drifts almost instantly when floored.......

20181006_184946.jpg

Wow... maybe there should be a Explorer Eulogy thread...lol:laugh:

Man, now I feel bad I didn't give my donor a eulogy. I just waved goodbye as it was hauled away.
:dead:

wow and here i thought you were waving goodbye to me!

Back