Plan B | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plan B

wheeling

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
I was all set to order a fully loaded gray EX LTD with 2nd row bucket seats for 2012 until this JD power survey comes out. I have been following this forum for some time and aware of all the issues with MFT and other parts of the car, thinking that only owners with problems would come out to complain. However, this recent survey and big drop of Ford's ranking makes me have the second thought. Look like Ford has a much bigger fish to fry right now.

I have a Nissan Murano, it was the first year model and had no problem what's so ever. The CVT transmittion had some early failures reported and Nissan increased the powertrain warranttee to 10 years/100k. After 8 years, I can feel that the powertrain is not as smooth as before. So I am planing to trade it in for a EX early next year.

I've done a lot of research to make this decision. The EX has the most features for the money, , especially the safty features,and looks very attractive. The question is, how reliable are those features? My options are 1. wait unitl all the bugs are worked out and still buy the EX. But I don't know how long that going to take and if I can wait with the current state of the Murano. 2. Buy another car. My second choice is Infiniti FX35, which also has a lot technogies, but smaller. My 3rd choice is Acura MDX, it is boring compared to the EX.
What would you do if you are in my shoes?

Thanks

The only thing I'd watch short term is the MFT issue and see how they resolve it and how long.

Otherwise I love my X... think its a solid truck. Structurally feel solid and imo the ride is very smooth and quiet. Powertrain should be ok... the Edge has been using the 3.5L V6 for a while with no major news.

With most issues resolved and I think the MFT will be resolved one way or another so, you can possibly look at it this way... with the hammering they got on the JD report, they are going to focus more on quality and getting that rating up next year... so I would imagine better quality control on the 2012s.

I was all set to order a fully loaded gray EX LTD with 2nd row bucket seats for 2012 until this JD power survey comes out. I have been following this forum for some time and aware of all the issues with MFT and other parts of the car, thinking that only owners with problems would come out to complain. However, this recent survey and big drop of Ford's ranking makes me have the second thought. Look like Ford has a much bigger fish to fry right now.

I have a Nissan Murano, it was the first year model and had no problem what's so ever. The CVT transmittion had some early failures reported and Nissan increased the powertrain warranttee to 10 years/100k. After 8 years, I can feel that the powertrain is not as smooth as before. So I am planing to trade it in for a EX early next year.

I've done a lot of research to make this decision. The EX has the most features for the money, , especially the safty features,and looks very attractive. The question is, how reliable are those features? My options are 1. wait unitl all the bugs are worked out and still buy the EX. But I don't know how long that going to take and if I can wait with the current state of the Murano. 2. Buy another car. My second choice is Infiniti FX35, which also has a lot technogies, but smaller. My 3rd choice is Acura MDX, it is boring compared to the EX.

Thanks

Thanks

I looked exactly at the same trucks to compare, along with Nissan, Audi, Volvo and others. I think the new JD Powell survey is interesting and will get Ford's attention. Previous years were very high, so I question the big drop.

My new EX is now 3 months old and almost perfect in quality and build. The electronics are so cutting edge, it is difficult to compare any one truck against the EX, but I understand early version have issues. I'm confident the issues will get resolved with software upgrades and people will push for better phones and external add on equipment.

I expect to have this very safe, well built truck for 10 years. Ford proved to me the EX compare very well to high end non US SUVs/crossovers. Time will tell if I made the right decision.

To repeat what jd said on another issue the ex has 1% mechnical issues and 99% cutting edge tech issues, now with that said microsoft and ford will get it fixed very soon. I agree with others that ford should have gone with apple, but apple being a closed system and steve jobs being so tight with apple mybe thats why ford went with microsoft what they should do is over ther air upgrade's like they do with laptops etc... So i tell you i love my ford explorer would not get anything else, no nissan, toyota, chrysler,gmc etc... So i say ford yes you can !!!!!

ps, remember apple an verizon and verizon now has the iphone so let see !

Back