• Register Today It's free!

Planning on coilovers

sandrat84

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I have a 98 Explorer xlt 4 door. My torsion bars are sagging and i have even done a torsion twist.
I have been considering coilovers for a while. I have a friend who is going to help me with the swap. My plan is to use 12 in coilovers on a stock explorer and also using btf upper a arms.
This is a parts list I got from a super x setup and yes I know I am at stock height.
Fox 2.0 emulsion shocks (980-02-001-A) x2 ($207 each)
Eibach 12" 800lb springs (1200.250.0800) x2 ($52.99 each)
Spanner Wrenches (07-100 and 07-102) for adjusting coilovers on shock body ($13.50 for both)

Fox Longer Eyelet (213-01-282-B) x2 ($30 each)
Fox Heim Spacers (213-18-009-A) x8 ($4.50 each) these are to space them correctly in the mounts.
Shock Soft Jaws (4023-875-625) these are to hold the shock rod while changing eyelets ($30)

My question lies with the fox longer eyelet. Is the eyelet require for CV shaft clearance or is it because of the lift from the super lift kit to add length for shock? We are making our own mounts for the 12 in coilovers instead of just bracing the stock shock towers.

Just as long as you know you'll have to completely cut out the top shock tower and extend it up at least 3" then those parts will work. I'm running that same 12" coilover setup on my superlift. The shocks are super long also so you need limit straps too. If your 4x4 you need the front lower eyelets to get the bottom spring mount to clear the axle. Also I would reconsider your spring rate if your all stock. What engine do you have?

I have the 4.0sohc. I plan on building a prerunner style bumper with a 9k winch.

Back