Planning Trip to Junkyard for SAS goodies. Advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Planning Trip to Junkyard for SAS goodies. Advice?

OK. So I have spent the last couple weeks researching for an SAS on my 02 Sport Trac. I guess now the first thing to do is start hunting the junkyard for an axle and other goodies. I have never searched for my own parts at a junkyard before. (I've only used a junkyard a couple of times for small parts and it's gone like this: "Do you have such and such?" "Yep", and I go and pick it up) I guess I'm looking for advice or pointers on going to a junkyard to look for my own parts. Do I go to the desk and ask for the axle I'm looking for? Do I walk through the yard looking for just the right FSJ? Do I bring tools? Sorry, I'm an overthinker and I just want to know what to expect :)

Here's my wish list so far:

Axle
80-81 or 85-92 Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44

Flat Top Knuckles
Passenger Side --
73-77 Chevy & GM 1/2 Ton 4x4 with Dana 44 OR
74-77 Full Size Jeep (Wagoneer)
Driver Side --
73-87 Chevy & GM 1/2 Ton 4x4 with Dana 44 (already drilled & tapped) OR
74-77 Full Size Jeep (Wagoneer)

Hubs & Rotors
Late 70’s - Early 80’s F-150 or Bronco (Will probably just buy new)

Outer Shafts
74-77 Full Size Jeep (Wagoneer) (disc brake setup has correct spindles and flat top knuckles)

Other Spindle Option
Late 1972-1977 GMC/Chevy 1/2 ton K series 10/15 or Blazer/Jimmy

(Will probably buy 5x5.5 conversion kit and forgo the junkyard hubs, rotors, spindles, but might as well look while I am there)

Steering Box
91-94 Explorer

Am I on the right track? What could I expect to pay for some of these parts?
Any insight from those who have gone through this process before would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Around here there are two types of junkyards. The first goes something like this:

Go to counter
Me: Do you have xyz part?
JY: Yes it is $_____ amount. We can pull it for you and have it in 4 days. You have to pay all up front.
Me: I can get for a third the price at Napa. then I walk out the door.

The other yards goes like this.

Drag tools in wheel barrow to entrance.
Sign waiver.
pay $1-4 at gate.

Me: Where are xyz vechicles
JY: No habla english

then I wonder off to hope to find what I want. Prices are cheaper but I consider everything I get as a core. basically get the axle knuckles spindles and shafts. everything else will be replaced with new when I get it home.

The other yards goes like this.

Drag tools in wheel barrow to entrance.
Sign waiver.
pay $1-4 at gate.

Me: Where are xyz vechicles
JY: No habla english

then I wonder off to hope to find what I want. Prices are cheaper but I consider everything I get as a core. basically get the axle knuckles spindles and shafts. everything else will be replaced with new when I get it home.

this is the version i like. i do it at least once a month.

except the one i go to all their vehicles' locations are cataloged and i get online in the middle of the yard to check prices with my phone.

Thanks for the responses. I only have experience with the first type, but the second type sounds like the place to find my axle.

Please excuse my ignorance, but a few more questions. So, to remove an axle along with the leaf springs at a junkyard, do you bring your own jack? Maybe a sawzall? Cut the leafs free at the mounts?

Thanks for the responses. I only have experience with the first type, but the second type sounds like the place to find my axle.

Please excuse my ignorance, but a few more questions. So, to remove an axle along with the leaf springs at a junkyard, do you bring your own jack? Maybe a sawzall? Cut the leafs free at the mounts?

most places wont let you bring a jack, sawzall yes. if you dont care about the leafs just cut them! when i got my front axle i cut through the control arms, shocks and all, even seperated the driveshaft. most pick & pull places will nickle and dime you based on whats attached to the axle.

Another option that is easier I think is just search craigslist autoparts section, usually parts allready removed and easier to hagle with individuals than salvage yard. Good luck with your search.

I got lucky with my D60 getting it from a place that only scraps vehicles for the steel and normally doesn't sell the parts off of them. I gave them a call and they said they had one after I explained what I was looking for (which took a lot of explaining because they typically don't pay attention to parts...) they set them aside when they cut the truck up. Got the front d60 and rear sterling both with 4.10's for $500 total with steel wheels still attached so I could roll them around. Since scrap prices went back up, it may be harder to find a place willing to do that now though.

Back