Plans have changed....99 explorer 5.0 turbo time! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plans have changed....99 explorer 5.0 turbo time!

Hello everyone, I bought a 99 explorer limiited 5.0 2wd cheap that runs like a top, i was gonna go tmh, exhaust, blah, blah.....but nope look forward to a near future thread of full custom rear mount turbo. Ive already talked to james hensen and hes gonna tune it. Heres the reason why i decided to go this route...
Things I already own:
hpx pmas maf
type rs bov
tial wastegate
3 core intercooler that literally falls in to the lower valence
intercooler piping and couplers, t bolt clamps out the wazoo
4 inch k&n cone
4 inch down pipe
a bunch of exhaust tubing
a 16ft nitrous line that will become a turbo oil feed line
fitting for said line to the turbo
2 oil pumps with filters that came off a diesel ram that was running an auxillary 40 gallon oil tank
and lots of odds and ends
a welder

I have all this with no current money in it just leftovers from old projects.

I figure i need:
tuner/tuning from james
injectors
fuel pump
tranny cooler line and fittings for oil return
turbo
wastegate flange and dump tube( could be made cheaply)
turbo outlet flange
and............?

My next decision is turbo or turbos I could do either cheaply as i am going blowthrough maf

Whatta ya think two small garret svo t3's or one master power 60-1 p trim with .70 exhaust turbine?...or a different single turbo!

Im not trying to break any records here, the motor down to the manifolds are staying stock and boost will not go over 8lbs until i have another built motor sitting waiting. I think 8lbs will be safe tuned properly on 93 octane, between the big ass intercooler, the extra intercooler piping with a rear mount further reducing iat temps, the 5.0 will smile at it, this trucks been a mobile 1 truck its whole life and is clean. It wants to go a little faster :)

Or feel free to tell me my choices suck, I like and appreciate opinions, both positive and negative.

When I do this, I will take pics and document everything to create a build thread for all those that wanna do something like this on a budget.

Whatta ya think? Sorry about the book

thanks
jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like fun keep up the progress. One thing though you said you are gonna build another motor for it eventually. Are you talkin bout using an aftermarket block or usin a stock block? Reason I bring it up is you'll split the block before you break a stock rotating assembly so its not adviseable to do that lol. And 8lbs will be nothin for that. That combo in a auto mustang would prob be around 380 wheel which is nothin for these motors :thumbsup:.

ive split 4 blocks in the past im the 550 to 600 range....definately not my first rodeo with forced induction or the limitations of the stock block. This is however me wetting my feet with an explorer, and a wetting my feet with remote turbo. By another motor on the side i mean a freshened junkyard explorer motor....cheap and who cares if u blow em up...get another at the boneyard. Motor mods, nah....want more power, turn the boost up...You can meet/exceed the power limitations of the stock block without ever pulling the intake or valve covers when boost is involved :) No 347 or 331 or yadda yadda...dont need it....more power, more boost...just have the fuel for it and make sure its tuned.

i really only am gray in one are: what pressure/volume should the scavenge pump run at, and is there a need to regulate the pumps pressure? Also should a restrictor be put in the feed line so the turbo doesnt stay full of oil after shut down?
Also what pcv mods? in the past i just put a homemade one way check valve before the pcv, it let vacuum through but not boost in.

Id contact STS with your pump concerns. Sure they are going to try to sell you the universal remote mount kit bit, i know for a fact they will sell the oiling system seperately..

yeah i called them and got the we have to protect our patented design, blah blah, and i can only sell you a universal kit and no other pump works but ours....somebody is making that pump for them...who is it? He confirmed theres a check valve in the feed line...lets discuss this

If there is a anti flowback type check valve, well, isnt that what an oil filter has inside? Wouldn't a remote filter--in line accomplish this?

I have no clue, just throwing it out there

You did say "discuss"

ive split 4 blocks in the past im the 550 to 600 range....definately not my first rodeo with forced induction or the limitations of the stock block. This is however me wetting my feet with an explorer, and a wetting my feet with remote turbo. By another motor on the side i mean a freshened junkyard explorer motor....cheap and who cares if u blow em up...get another at the boneyard. Motor mods, nah....want more power, turn the boost up...You can meet/exceed the power limitations of the stock block without ever pulling the intake or valve covers when boost is involved :) No 347 or 331 or yadda yadda...dont need it....more power, more boost...just have the fuel for it and make sure its tuned.

i really only am gray in one are: what pressure/volume should the scavenge pump run at, and is there a need to regulate the pumps pressure? Also should a restrictor be put in the feed line so the turbo doesnt stay full of oil after shut down?
Also what pcv mods? in the past i just put a homemade one way check valve before the pcv, it let vacuum through but not boost in.

Ok lol. When I read built motor I thought you meant BUILT lol. I definately wanna see more of this though cause i'd like to do somethin like this when I get one (I cant leave anything alone lol).

im pretty sure a basic check valve placed in line of the oil feed line would suffice...as long as it closed below even say 5 lbs it would interrupt flow to the turbo upon shut down, you could then set the scavenge pump to run say 5 seconds after shut down to remove the oil from the turbo. A manual override switch could accomplish this. So we just need to know the mysteries of there pump, and i need to find fittings/pressure cutoff switch for -4 an line. Were about there! Im sure even knowing the ratings of there pump could allow you to choose one of ur own liking. hmmmmmmm....we need those specs....who has an sts oil pump theres gotta be some info on there to unlock there secret pump lol

go to summit earl check valve thats solved search part number 251004ERL...whatta ya think...resolved?

60 bux on amazon

u can make a one way check valve that goes inline before the pcv valve, lets vacuum flow but not boost. U screw two hardware fittings together and put a ball bearing inside.....done it before.....than run the hose on the valve cover by the oil fill to a catch can.....lets figure out the pesky pump

the gp-301 oil pump is what it is...resolved

now that im thinkin about it...these are one way check valves...only stopping backflow....i wonder if the would allow a drip....

ahh hah i know what will work hahahah a nitrous fuel solenoid....open all the time and shuts off when the engine does and put no jets in it. Now that should work...and it will plum easily with the nitrous line im using for a feed line. For those worried about the solenoid failing and burning up the turbo, you could put an oil pressure guage in between the turbo and the solenoid, so you know if pressure drops, ie a failed solenoid.

Back