Plasti Dip Wheels and new tires! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plasti Dip Wheels and new tires!

Well I finally am getting around to post this! Been very busy lately. But I decided to get some new tires 245/75/16's and decided to stick with the stock rims, just plasti-dip them black. I am so glad I did, and am incredibly happy with the turn out. Plasti-dip is one of the easiest things to put on and take off. SO with that said here are some pics!

IMG_1134_zps716a7b7d.jpg

Before tires

IMG_1148_zps61ff4f54.jpg

24myljp.jpg

29q1mhv.jpg

After tires

9bcebq.jpg

fvjlz7.jpg

Plastidip

ayvdhf.jpg

Before and after

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That turned out real nice :thumbsup: I am partial to black rims anyway.
The Plasti-Dip that you used, was that the regular ol' matte black? And did you put any clear coats on?

nice! did you paint your bumpers and wheel flares with plastidip too?

Looks good :thumbsup:

On an Xterra forum I am on, they are all sorts of Plasti-Dip crazy. Front edge of hood, emblems, grills...

I can't get this stuff to stay on the wheels on my 97 sport. They're the fake chrome three spoke steel wheels. Any tips?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

Use sandpaper or a wire wheel to scuff them um. then clean them really well with warm soapy water. Let them dry all the way then paint them.

Use sandpaper or a wire wheel to scuff them um. then clean them really well with warm soapy water. Let them dry all the way then paint them.

I was thinking of priming them before spraying the plastidip.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

That turned out real nice :thumbsup: I am partial to black rims anyway.
The Plasti-Dip that you used, was that the regular ol' matte black? And did you put any clear coats on?

I am as well! And I just used the regular. And no I did not, but I am gonna give them a good scrub and then gonna put another coat of plastidip or two, and then clear coat them, cause they are incredibly tough to keep clean.

nice! did you paint your bumpers and wheel flares with plastidip too?

No I didn't! I used krylon fusion, but did not clear coat, which if you are gonna do, I would put clear coat on. I am planning on plastidipping them though after winter. Not too pleased with the fusion

Looks good :thumbsup:

On an Xterra forum I am on, they are all sorts of Plasti-Dip crazy. Front edge of hood, emblems, grills...

Thank you! I actually helped a buddy do his xterra and it looks great! Truly a kind of magic.

what is plasti dip? never heard of it before or seen it. LOL. I know, dumb question.

Its in a spray can and it's kind of a rubberized paint. Like what's on some plier handles.

Back