• Register Today It's free!

Plasti Dipped my rims

97Mounty97

Reaction score
City, State
Port Huron, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I decided to plasti dip my rims to match the rest of my mountaineer.
I did 4 coats of black on all of the rims and the the caps I did 4 coats of red
Let me know what you think

BEFORE
Picture003_zps5df99e93.jpg

AFTER
5c7843ae-ca91-4215-a1df-800afed96704_zps04f411b0.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good.. what size are those tires?

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

looks good. i did mine all black.. i would like it better if you had red accents or something for the caps to match..

looks good. i did mine all black.. i would like it better if you had red accents or something for the caps to match..

Thanks...I do have red accents on the rest of my mounty. I had red mercury emblems and red mesh behind my black grille and in the bottom of the bumper. Check out my other thread for Painting my Grille

Thanks...I do have red accents on the rest of my mounty. I had red mercury emblems and red mesh behind my black grille and in the bottom of the bumper. Check out my other thread for Painting my Grille

wow yeah that is a sweet color combo then!!!

wow yeah that is a sweet color combo then!!!

Yeah I definitely get some complements on it!! I'll post some pictures of the whole vehicle tomorrow when I get a chance to show it off a little better

Thinking of doing this. Did you do it with the wheels and tires still on the Mounty? How much paint did you go through?

Thinking of doing this. Did you do it with the wheels and tires still on the Mounty? How much paint did you go through?

Yup I left the tires on the rims and right on the mounty. Go on YouTube and there are a ton of videos but look for the ones by fonzie I think the channel name is DipYourCar and he recommends 4 cans to do all four rims with like 4-5 coats but I did all of my rims with 2 cans and I did 4 coats on them. Justbe sure to cover up the rotors and brakes and what not when you paint if you leave them on your car. I plastic groccery bags to cover mine

So the grey on the bottom of my mounty wasn't matching that well so I decided to use the Bondo Heavy Duty Rubberized Undercoating and now its flat black

IMG_20140425_132251_zpsbb56c3de.jpg

Here are just some pictures of my truck(before I put the undercoating along the bottom

Front-
IMG_20140424_165257_zps49bc4e7e.jpg

Side/Front-
IMG_20140424_145154_zps994a95ec.jpg

Nice ! It looks good , The whole package looks pretty good on your 2nd gen ! .

Nice ! It looks good , The whole package looks pretty good on your 2nd gen ! .

Thank you! Since I've plasti dipped the rims and did the undercoating I've had people giving me more compliments on it. My neighbor came up to me the other day when I pulled in and he was like "when did you get new rims?" and I told him what I did and he was shocked he said they looked great haha

Here is my girlfriends 97 mountaineer(red) and mine to show a size difference

IMG_20140430_194105_zpse560c9fe.jpg

I have had my rims dipped for about a year, almost everyone seems to think I bought new rims. I think I'm about ready to peel it off and just paint them with a flat black.

I have had my rims dipped for about a year, almost everyone seems to think I bought new rims. I think I'm about ready to peel it off and just paint them with a flat black.

Yeah since I've dipped mine people have been looking a lot more and asking about them and most are shocked that it's plasti dip haha

Back