Plasti Dipped Wheels | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plasti Dipped Wheels

I waited 30 minutes between each of the coats. That's what the instructions on the can said. :dunno:

Can't remember how many coats (maybe 4-5). I just kept going until all 4 cans were empty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, there goes my attempt at keeping my plastidip thread away from this peeing match...:D

Maybe pick up a can of the glossifer and spray them to give them a little shine if that's what you want. IMO the flat black with the red doesn't look right, maybe some gloss to them would look better to your wife?

I wasn't really going for any type of look. I actually sprayed them more as a protectant until I put my winter wheels on. So far it's been pretty mild so I'm holding off on mounting the winter set up. Plus we are driving to Texas for the holidays. Last road trip we took, I noticed a few nicks on the wheels so I figured it would't hurt to spray them before the 1100 mile road trip.

Thanks for the tip though.

Did this a couple week ago & thought I'd share ;)

null.jpg
Where did you get the white ford symbols for the front and back?

What brand or what kind of PD to use? Or is there only 1 kind?
Is it best to purchase off EBAY or at PepBoys or some place like that?
Thanks Steve

I've been lurking for a while but have yet to post, if this has already been covered, please let me know, I did search and was not able to find much,.

Picked up a 2016 Sport in December, and immediately took it to Discount Tire for new shoes, 265/50 20 Bridgestone Blizzaks. Now I had 2 sets of tires and 1 set of rims. I didn't like the idea of having to spend $60 - $70 twice a year to swap out tires, so I found a set of 20" XLT wheels on Craigs list.

Now the fun begins. Silver wasn't going to cut it, so painted them black.

First, start with a Scotch pad, to scuff the rims. You can use red or green. I used green as it is a little more abrasive and wanted to scuff the coating on the rims. With bare metal, red should be fine.
scotch_pad_zpsafi60cdn.jpg

Rims after scuffing:
scuffed_zpsuqipurqn.jpg

I spent about 10 mins per rim, so 40 mins to scuff them.
Then I used an air compressor to remove the dust and then wiped them down with a clean rag.

Scuffing and tapping.
Then I used an air compressor to remove the dust and then wiped them down with a clean rag.
I used 2 - 3" strips and make sure to tuck under the lip of the rim. Also, be sure to tape in the same direction, overlapping each piece, this will make removal much, much easier:
IMG_5052_zps3wp4s0hd.jpg

After the initial pass, made a second pass of tape:
IMG_5054_zpsc6sraudg.jpg

Take your time here, the better you tape the cleaner the finish.
Took another 10 mins per rim to tape, 40 mins in.

I used the following paint for the rims, finished with a clear coat:
black_front_zpsu9air1c5.jpg

gloss_front_zpslz53uupm.jpg

I used 6 coats of the Black (3 cans X $5.59) and 2 coats of clear (1 can X &7.09)
1st coat:
1st_coat_zpsa4l0uiqv.jpg

2nd coat:
2nd_coat_zps3xvsxbkq.jpg

3rd coat:
3rd_coat_zpsggk0jnak.jpg

You get the idea. Light is aways better than heavy. I allowed paint to dry 20 mins between coats, as it was on the cooler side. You can wait as little as 5 mins in between coats.

And finally, the finished product:
finished_zpsynlyvtwy.jpg

Now if I can just find some black center caps...hopefully these will work:
Black Center caps

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Just had my wheels changed over from the 18" Winter Blizzaks to the 20" OEM Hankooks and was charged $26.95 which included resetting the TMPS checking tire pressures and using the correct torque on the wheel lugs.
Very nice job BTW.:thumbsup:

Peter

I've been lurking for a while but have yet to post, if this has already been covered, please let me know, I did search and was not able to find much,.

Picked up a 2016 Sport in December, and immediately took it to Discount Tire for new shoes, 265/50 20 Bridgestone Blizzaks. Now I had 2 sets of tires and 1 set of rims. I didn't like the idea of having to spend $60 - $70 twice a year to swap out tires, so I found a set of 20" XLT wheels on Craigs list.

Now the fun begins. Silver wasn't going to cut it, so painted them black.

First, start with a Scotch pad, to scuff the rims. You can use red or green. I used green as it is a little more abrasive and wanted to scuff the coating on the rims. With bare metal, red should be fine.
scotch_pad_zpsafi60cdn.jpg

Rims after scuffing:
scuffed_zpsuqipurqn.jpg

Scuffing and tapping.
I used 2 - 3" strips and make sure to tuck under the lip of the rim. Also, be sure to tape in the same direction, overlapping each piece, this will make removal much, much easier:
IMG_5052_zps3wp4s0hd.jpg

After the initial pass, made a second pass of tape:
IMG_5054_zpsc6sraudg.jpg

Take your time here, the better you tape the cleaner the finish.
Took another 10 mins per rim to tape, 40 mins in.

I used the following paint for the rims, finished with a clear coat:
black_front_zpsu9air1c5.jpg

gloss_front_zpslz53uupm.jpg

I used 6 coats of the Black (3 cans X $5.59) and 2 coats of clear (1 can X &7.09)
1st coat:
1st_coat_zpsa4l0uiqv.jpg

2nd coat:
2nd_coat_zps3xvsxbkq.jpg

3rd coat:
3rd_coat_zpsggk0jnak.jpg

You get the idea. Light is aways better than heavy. I allowed paint to dry 20 mins between coats, as it was on the cooler side. You can wait as little as 5 mins in between coats.

And finally, the finished product:
finished_zpsynlyvtwy.jpg

Now if I can just find some black center caps...hopefully these will work:
Black Center caps

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Why did you scuff the wheels? That Flexidip is not paint, its a peelable coating. It will last 2 years, maybe. Then you will have to respray or deal with scuffed clearcoat. You should habe just cleaned your wheels then spray the flexidip on them.

same thing I was thinking, They look good but if you went to all that trouble to scuff them I would have just used regular satin black paint or a satin or flat clear over any black paint. The rubber coating will peel off with any aggressive washing or handling, tire changeover etc.

Why did you scuff the wheels? That Flexidip is not paint, its a peelable coating. It will last 2 years, maybe. Then you will have to respray or deal with scuffed clearcoat. You should habe just cleaned your wheels then spray the flexidip on them.

I have used Plastidip for years now and the equivalent Rustoleum Peelcoat is much more durable. But scuffing is never, ever required, just a good cleaning before application. Clean dipped/coated wheels with Turtle Wax Ice spray wax and you will be impressed.

It adheres to the surface better. I did the same thing on my truck and it latest over 3 years. Not worried about the clear coat as I will never go back to the original color.

I have used Plastidip for years now and the equivalent Rustoleum Peelcoat is much more durable. But scuffing is never, ever required, just a good cleaning before application. Clean dipped/coated wheels with Turtle Wax Ice spray wax and you will be impressed.
The one think I really like about the PeelCoat, it's a rubberized coating. As a result, when detailing the wheels....just spray your favorite tire shine (Amour All or similar) on wheels and tires, wipe off excess....doesn't get any easier than that.

Back