Plastic pieces found in oil pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plastic pieces found in oil pan

Reaction score
City, State
West Milton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer sport xlt
So I found these pieces in my oil pan when I was changing the lower gasket because it was leaking and I want to say they are from the timing guides but can't find where on the guide they are from or if they even are from the guide any help is appreciated
PXL_20210523_012709351.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the front jack shaft to crank tensioner
Easily replaced under the timing cover

Hopefully just the jackshaft, like donalds mentioned. If not, it’s one of the cam chain ones...far less fun

Hopefully just the jackshaft, like donalds mentioned. If not, it’s one of the cam chain ones...far less fun
I'm sure its the j shaft I recognize that Piece lol

If you just did the tranny, fix. That tensioner can be done with the engine in the vehicle

They may also belong to the balance mass chain tensioner too... Mine mere broken when I replaced the timing chains but not the ones from the Jackshaft tensioner... Is it yours a 4x4 model...??? ... As I know all the 4x4 SOHCs came with balance mass...

They may also belong to the balance mass chain tensioner too... Mine mere broken when I replaced the timing chains but not the ones from the Jackshaft tensioner... Is it yours a 4x4 model...??? ... As I know all the 4x4 SOHCs came with balance mass...
Yes it is 4wd but I've read you don't really need it but still haven't really found a definite reason for me to delete it

Here what I found on my 1999 XLT Limited AWD SOHC
IMG_20200314_105056.jpg

Jackshaft chaint with guides and tensioner toasted but in place ... Behing it you can see the pieces of front timing chain guides from driver side block...

IMG_20200314_105117.jpg

The balance shaft chain guide form the tensioner (barely seen below) is missing ... those were some of the many pieces I found in the oil pan and very similar to the ones you showed above...

IMG_20200314_105125.jpg

Detail of the Jackshaft chain that Donalds referred it also could be... As you can see, the tensioner guide is broken in two but still in place so it´s a candidate as well...

Both the Jackshaft chain guida and/or the balance shaft chain guide could be changed with no need to get the engine out of the motor bay... You just have to disassembly the upper engine and all pieces front, from the radiator to the coolant pump to the front cover...

Hope this helps

Regards from the South Pole in winter
GP

Here what I found on my 1999 XLT Limited AWD SOHC
View attachment 340563
Jackshaft chaint with guides and tensioner toasted but in place ... Behing it you can see the pieces of front timing chain guides from driver side block...

View attachment 340564
The balance shaft chain guide form the tensioner (barely seen below) is missing ... those were some of the many pieces I found in the oil pan and very similar to the ones you showed above...

View attachment 340565

Detail of the Jackshaft chain that Donalds referred it also could be... As you can see, the tensioner guide is broken in two but still in place so it´s a candidate as well...

Both the Jackshaft chain guida and/or the balance shaft chain guide could be changed with no need to get the engine out of the motor bay... You just have to disassembly the upper engine and all pieces front, from the radiator to the coolant pump to the front cover...

Hope this helps

Regards from the South Pole in winter
GP
Yes that helps a bunch

Back