Plastic Pieces on the oil filter, Please Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plastic Pieces on the oil filter, Please Help

mn_vette

Reaction score
City, State
MI
I'm working on a 2002 explorer V6 4.0L that my friend owns. It had some issues with oil pressure and we found that the oil seal on the filter was not in the right place so oil was leaking out.

When we pulled the oil filter there were about 5 small pieces of plastic on the top of the oil filter.

Any clue what these could be? I'm guessing a timing chain guide of some kind, but I'm not all that farmiliar with the Ford engines. But we would like to know if the explorer is ok to drive or if this is something that we need to fix right away.

Thanks a bunch :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timing chain guides or tensioners is my first guess. My oil pan was full of the chunks when I had my tentioners go out never noticed any on the oil filter. Is this engine the SOHC. If so there are Four chians if its 4x4 two for the cams, jackshaft and balance shaft. Do a search through the forums theres alot of info on how to replace guides and tensioners as well as inspect.

As far as fixing if it is the guides or tentioners you risk the chance of the chains slipping which could cause signifiant damage to the valve train. But I pulled three boats with my Ex over 300 miles a peice before fixing mine but I probably got lucky.

The truck is a 4x4.

Is there a nice sticky with pictures on how to replace these? I did a search and didn't find much. I'll keep trying though.

So I guess I'll be pulling the motor to get these things fixed. Not really what I wanted to do, but I guess its better than destroying the engine.

EDIT: Ok now i read somewhere that you don't need to pull the engine for the 2002+ to change the tensioners. Now I'm really confused.

I pulled the passanger valve cover to get a look at what kind of shape the rear guide was in. Here is what I found by the rockers when I pulled the valve cover.

ford_pieces.jpg

I guess I'm pulling the engine to replace the rear guide and tensioner.

You can see in this picture how loose the timing chaing is. Do you see how much of the bolt is eaten away from the timing chain slopping around? I'm assuming that there should be some part of the guide that goes around that bolt that is now missing.

ford_ground_bolt.jpg

Sorry to hear about the damage. How many miles does the engine have on it?

The truck now has 145k on it.

Since I have to pull the motor, is there anything else I should be looking at or changing out while the motor is out???

rear vs front

The right rear timing chain guide usually lasts the longest. Since yours is in bad shape your left upper and front lower probably also need replacing unless they've already been replaced. In order to change the left front chain the front lower must be removed. I suggest that you pull the left valve cover and inspect.

The right rear timing chain guide usually lasts the longest. Since yours is in bad shape your left upper and front lower probably also need replacing unless they've already been replaced. In order to change the left front chain the front lower must be removed. I suggest that you pull the left valve cover and inspect.

I guess since I have to pull the engine to get the rear one I was planning on doing the front left with the engine out of the car.

I'll also pull the pan to check for pieces in there. And inspect the jackshaft tensioner too.

I was thinking of other things that might be going out soon that would be alot easier to change with the engine out of the car. Random things like the water pump, etc.

Oh, and is www.ford-parts.com the best place to get the timing guides? Murry's quoted me $370 for the "partial timing chain kit" which is the timing chains, buides, sprockets and tensioners for the front and back.

MN,
One vendor I'm very happy with is what used to be DirectFordParts.com. Their web addy is now http://www.silverstatefordparts.com/ The name of the dealership is Gaudin Ford out of Las Vegas.

Ask for a quote and if isn't competitive see what they can do. I've dealt with Mike La Dow and he was more than happy to assist with advice as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

silverstate

I agree with RickM that Silverstate seems to have the best prices and a wide selection. They also maintain the current parts and identify superseded parts. You may have to order the plug (bolt cover) for the rear separately. I haven't decided whether to order the kits or the individual pieces. I doubt that gears need to be replaced and the chains are probably still usable. Do you have the timing tool set? There are no timing notches on the cams so the only way to time the cams correctly is with the tool set that costs about $160.

Do you have the timing tool set? There are no timing notches on the cams so the only way to time the cams correctly is with the tool set that costs about $160.

I don't have a timing set. Can I also get this from the dealer or is there somewhere else I have to go?

Its always fun when you find out about random stuff you need.

i need pics or a sticky of how to do the front giude and tensioner .. what does ford want to do this job ?? can i do this myself i have rebuilt trannys and some engine work but not on a SOHC motor , my oil pressure is still good , im assuming the tensioner is shot i get a light marble noise in front of motorat 2k ( loose chain hitting cover ) ?

Not sure if this is what you'll need... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OTC-6487-Ford-CAM-Timing-Service-Tool-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5885605674QQitemZ380194805364QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

but I would inquire @ Autozone and Advance Auto as they "rent" these types of tools.
Basically they allow you buy the tool(s) and return for a credit when done.

It has that listed for the V8 engines. I think this is the one I need.

http://www.automotivetoolsonline.com/OTC6488-Ford-Cam-Tool-Kit-OTC-6488_p_12800.html

I called Autozone and Murray's and neither of them had it.

GForce,

Here's the closest thing that I could come up with to a picture tutorial for the front guide.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161701&highlight=pictures+timing

imported parts

According to one forum member who asked a Ford technician friend of his all of the plastic parts are imported. I know my "genuine Ford part" 00M12 kit that included the front upper tensioner came from outside the US. From the photo the plastic parts look to be comparable to the more recent OEM parts. Since I only have 2WD I don't need the balance shaft parts.

Guys i need only the parts list to fix the chain rattle , do i need a tensioner and guide , im assuming from all your experience its the front primary chain causing rattle or the guides for the front chain to drivers side cam ?, i think the tensioner is just weak and when u run it up to 2k causing slack , my oil pressure is good , i dont want to make this a huge expence or time since im getting layed off in march

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you state "My oil pressure is good" are you referring to the Dummy Gage on your dash? Because that is merely an "ON/OFF" gauge it is not actually showing oil pressure. If there is some pressure be it 10, 20, 30 PSI it shows ON if it drops below a certain threshold it shows OFF or NO oil pressure. You must use a pressure gauge screwed into the block where the oil sending unit screws into.

Back