plastic welding radiator tank..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

plastic welding radiator tank.....

lounge lizard

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt awd
so

I have a crack in the passenger side radiator tank. just like most others have gotten.
and I have wondered if this happens because of the body lift raising the radiator and the fluid wanting to be at level with the motor.

now I know you can lower the rad. some in the body on some model explorers.

but

I brought home a plastic welding from work and I was wondering if or what type of plastic is the tanks made out of?

I have some PVC rod which can be used to weld PVC and ABS plastic.

so
I figured I would try this and see if I can repair it. if not, I just have to get a new one and put it in.

planning on that anyway! but if I can do this and save some $$ why not?

any input on this project?? ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure the radiator is a thermoset plastic, which means you can't melt it. Feel free to give it a try and let us know what happens though

welding tank a waste of time.....

well

after getting the radiator out of the truck. I found that there was no way to weld the tank.

DSCN2628.jpg

the old radiator.

DSCN2629.jpg

the hair line pressure crack is between the two middle ribs and ends at the two outer ribs.

DSCN2630.jpg

new radiator.

DSCN2631.jpg

here is that tab on the passenger side that holds the condenser to the radiator.

DSCN2634.jpg

the driver side condenser bracket did not want to come out. and with the temp outside at 20 - 25 degrees out it decided to break instead.

DSCN2635.jpg

so I cut the top part of the mount that broke off. and I only used the lower part of the mount to hold the condenser from the bottom to the middle of the radiator.

this just sucked

after an hour or more of just wrestling with the condenser and radiator to get them into place.
I finally had it very close to being ready to mount to the truck.

DSCN2638.jpg

got the passenger side mounted up and all has to be done is hook up the upper hose.

DSCN2637.jpg

made it all fit once again! :D then it was time for the final hook ups and the refill.

after 4 - 5 hours I had it all back together and filled up with antifreeze

the lower radiator hose came out of the truck looking like this after being in the truck for almost a year after a body lift.

DSCN2633.jpg

so I had to cut off about 2" of hose to give it some room.

something I will have to change out in the future to a flexible hose like I have on the upper hose. :thumbsup:

I just replaced my radiator to because of the same problem except my cracks where vertical but I had problems getting the tranny lines sealing and had to use Teflon tape...

well
I got my radiator at pepboys. I know right!

but it had secondary fitting in it for the transmission lines, which made it so much easier to get them in place and to seal up.

my hard part was the condenser brackets.

there is just no room to move the radiator to the passenger side while moving the condenser to the driver side.

but after modifying the driver side condenser bracket, it was much easier then if that driver side bracket was completely in tact.

but I'm still wondering if doing the body lift had anything to do with the failure of the radiator?

I know mine was the original radiator from the factory, so it most likely needed to be replaced anyway.

my old radiator is cracked vertical as well. you just can't see it in the picture.

it just runs through the ribs in the middle of the picture

Back