Platinum Progress

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Upon reading about different aspects of my 2017 platinum on this forum and watching youtube videos, i have come to really appreciate the options that came on her. All the talk of the PTU fluid, had me scrambling, since i am at 50k miles. I saw where the PIU vehicles had an air duct that routed to the PTU to keep it cool, searched the net to get the oem number to purchase, and to my surprise, mine has the air duct already. Found out by changing my oil, installing fumoto valve, this air duct had to come off to get to drainplug. 3 easy screw tabs and the duct comes off. I use Schaeffers 9000 oil with mobile one filter. I also installed Redline Tuning hood struts and replaced the positive terminal that was corroded and loose, along with the AGM battery that i took out of my 2015 XLT, before selling it. I installed a catch can, just for good measure and an AFE air intake. I got my livernois thermostat and will install that soon. I am running the SCT 91 octane tune right now, and may at some point install the Livernois 3bar mass sensor and purchase the 3bar tune. I am loving this ride

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Hi Joe. There are posts here that suggest the air duct also helps to cool the rear turbo. It also is standard with the row package, My previous 2017 Platinum also had the duct.

Peter