Platinum seat back fraying badly, Ford can’t supply part | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Platinum seat back fraying badly, Ford can’t supply part

Lhymes

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
Let me start of by saying that I really do love my 2020 Explorer, but it hasn’t been without some issue.

Most of my concerns the factory has been very good about addressing, however, when I purchased about 5 months back, I noticed immediately there was a loose thread on the ‘Platinum’ embroidery of the passenger seat. I made mention of it as it was a slight concern, but the sales manager assured me that if there was any issues they’d get addressed without issue.

Well, a month into ownership it not only frayed, but got significantly worse quite quickly. About 3/4 inches of thread now just hang out of the seat back and the letter was now missing stitching.
The dealership ordered the part, then had me drop it off when it arrived. I was without my Explorer for 3-4 days only to later be told they received the wrong part (the newer style vinyl seat back instead of the original plastic style).

That was about 3-4 months ago. I was told the part was on back order due to COVID and they would get it as soon as possible. My ride has now been in the shop for a week due to some other trim issues and a weird noise coming from the headliner at times. I was told the seat back would finally be addressed, but then got a call that it was still on a permanent back order status with no expected arrival date.

I followed up regarding this, indicating how it is totally crazy that I’ve now been with a frayed seat back for 5 months, and don’t understand why they can’t sub in the newer style on both seats at this point. I was told that wasn’t an option and I’ll need to call Ford and complain in hopes that they will start producing the part again.

That’s where I am at this point. Years back I had some trim issues with my 2012 and there were community outreach members on the forum from Ford that ended up being super helpful with getting me all fixed up. Is that still a thing? Does anyone have any recommendations to get this issue resolved? I love my ride, but that thread just hanging out of the seat next to me is infuriating considering how much I spent on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The Ford reps left all the Forums a few years ago.
If this fraying is getting worse, is it possible to apply some glue to it or something else to stop it from getting worse while you wait?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The Ford reps left all the Forums a few years ago.
If this fraying is getting worse, is it possible to apply some glue to it or something else to stop it from getting worse while you wait?

Peter
Dang that’s a real shame. Wonder if there any channels for getting in touch someone besides raising a stink on their published number.

There really isn’t any place to put glue where I don’t think it will soak into the embroidery and make it look wore in a different way. If I cut the thread it will just end up fraying more. It’s really a catch 22 at this point and it sucks cause it feels like everyone officially says, “you’re right this is a problem!”, but won’t address it and give me a shrug.

EDIT: Ok, so I called the Ford Customer service number and got in touch with a rep and after 20 minutes of explaining the history their official response is they can’t help with part issues, and their managers and supervisors can’t either, and there isn’t anyone they can direct me to that can. They’re telling me the only people that can help with part issues is the dealership. So here I am being told by the dealership that Ford needs to help me, and Ford that the dealership needs to help me. So now I’m on hold while they communicate with each other like they’re going to somehow come to terms. I’ve already talked with the advisor and he’s now saying, “now you see what we’re having to deal with.” I mean, I empathize with both sides, but friggen help me out here. I’m really not in the mood to get fired up and try climbing the customer relations phone ladder, but I will if I need to. This is infuriating and now I kinda want to see what I need to do to pursue something dumb like a lemon law.

Last edited:

Dang that’s a real shame. Wonder if there any channels for getting in touch someone besides raising a stink on their published number.

There really isn’t any place to put glue where I don’t think it will soak into the embroidery and make it look wore in a different way. If I cut the thread it will just end up fraying more. It’s really a catch 22 at this point and it sucks cause it feels like everyone officially says, “you’re right this is a problem!”, but won’t address it and give me a shrug.

EDIT: Ok, so I called the Ford Customer service number and got in touch with a rep and after 20 minutes of explaining the history their official response is they can’t help with part issues, and their managers and supervisors can’t either, and there isn’t anyone they can direct me to that can. They’re telling me the only people that can help with part issues is the dealership. So here I am being told by the dealership that Ford needs to help me, and Ford that the dealership needs to help me. So now I’m on hold while they communicate with each other like they’re going to somehow come to terms. I’ve already talked with the advisor and he’s now saying, “now you see what we’re having to deal with.” I mean, I empathize with both sides, but friggen help me out here. I’m really not in the mood to get fired up and try climbing the customer relations phone ladder, but I will if I need to. This is infuriating and now I kinda want to see what I need to do to pursue something dumb like a lemon law.
Try talking to the district service rep. He visits his dealers regularly, and he can address things at a higher level than the dealer. He can approve things the dealer can't. Ask the service manager what day he'll be there, and arrange to meet him.

Have you tried addressing the issue with the sales manager again? He/she may be of some help.

Well, I ended up staying on the phone with the Ford rep after she called the dealership. She took 15 minutes before getting back on the line with me and essentially explaining the situation as I had explained it to her. After, as kindly as I could muster, I explained that I am not angry with her (I’m not), but the given situation, as I can understand the dealership’s side of the argument (“we’re trying to get the part, but they’re not supplying it - you should call Ford and complain”), but I can’t understand Ford’s. I mean, I’m a customer and I want to bring up a serious, justified complaint so I call your officially posted customer service number and these are the people that answer the number and act as if there is absolutely no way the company they represent (the actual manufacturer) can assist me.

Well, she finally got a supervisor on the line for me. The supervisor has requested the dealership to place the part in “emergency backorder” status and leave it in that status. Apparently the supervisor can flag it on her end with it being left in that status. I’m not going to hold my breath on this, as it has been about 5 months now, but we’ll see how it goes. I did stumble upon the phone number of a higher-up at Ford if this doesn’t seem to go anywhere.

I don't know if putting it in "Emergency Backorder" status will make much of a difference other than perhaps moving you ahead of others in the same situation. If the part isn't available, it won't make any difference. Since Ford has gone to a newer style of vinyl in place of the original plastic, perhaps the plastic one is no longer being made. I wonder if there is much of a difference in appearance. You may have to end up settling for the newer style in the end if Ford approves it. Good luck.

Peter

I may be wrong, but I thought U.S. product laws required a car manufacturer to stock and sell vehicle parts for 10 years from the date of manufacture. The part may be out of stock but I think they are required to supply it or make it right.

I may be wrong, but I thought U.S. product laws required a car manufacturer to stock and sell vehicle parts for 10 years from the date of manufacture. The part may be out of stock but I think they are required to supply it or make it right.
Unfortunately, incorrect. No such law exists. Only requirement is for the manufacturer to honor their warranty period with parts.

According to the systems, apparently the part is not discontinued and should be manufactured for repair purposes, but who knows to be honest. It’s kinda crazy having to deal with a situation like this - a part for a brand new vehicle is no longer available for repairs. Like wtf.

In the end if they aren’t going to manufacture the part, I’ll settle with the solution of them replacing both seat backs, but I kinda prefer the original plastic as it lends itself to being a much more durable solution especially if you drop your seats and want to haul something. I appreciate that the vinyl may look a bit nicer, but the plastic will hold up forever.

Well, my Explorer is still in for service. It’s been about 4 weeks. They can’t resolve an engine noise. The seatback still hasn’t been dealt with either. Not sure what the deal is with pursuing the lemon law in Florida, but this is getting crazy.

Well, my Explorer is still in for service. It’s been about 4 weeks. They can’t resolve an engine noise. The seatback still hasn’t been dealt with either. Not sure what the deal is with pursuing the lemon law in Florida, but this is getting crazy.
You can find all kinds of information on the Florida Lemon Law by doing an Internet search.

Peter

Back