Play in CV's at diff/axle tube

gavin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
how much up/down play would be normal for the half-shafts at the diff/axle tube?

my half-shafts themselves are good... grab the intermediate shaft and no play.
But if I grab the diff/axletube end, I can move it up and down quite a bit.

Now, on the dri side, I know there's a fairly easy to get to bearing that might need replaced.

But how about the pass. side? Since there's an intermediate shaft between the dif and half-shaft.
I've dug around and found out the Spicer OEM part number, and finally found a replacement, but it's flippin tiny. I plan on tearing into it tomorrow, but I'm really not sure where exactly this would go :confused:

anywho.. main question.. how much movement should I be able to get outta the half-shafts at the diff/axle tube end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The driver's side and the passenger's side are exactly the same design --- there is no extra "intermediate shaft". Its just the inner half of the "half shaft" or "CV shaft" is longer on the passenger's side.

The passenger side does actually separate into two pieces. The part of the axle shaft that goes into the pumpkin separates from the CV shafts.
But sorry I can't tell you how much play is normal...

The driver's side and the passenger's side are exactly the same design --- there is no extra "intermediate shaft". Its just the inner half of the "half shaft" or "CV shaft" is longer on the passenger's side.

I've pulled my shafts enough to know that there IS a difference between the dri and pass side.
replacement pass. side half-shafts have a female-spline tube at the axle tube end, that is only about 6" in length, and there is no way for that ~6" female-splined end to #1 reach the diff, and #2 even slide into the diff. There IS an intermediate shaft between the differential and half-shaft on the pass. side.

regardless; that's not what I'm asking about.

well I got the dri. side axle shaft bearing replaced... what a PITA.
Spent around 5hrs on both sides.
Bearing seals were a b%&# to remove, and the dri. side bearing was even worse.
I didn't even attempt the pass. side, as it would have been even harder than the dri. side, I just replaced the bearing seal (it was leaking, so I needed to atleast do that), which was also a b$^! to seat.
need to take it for a test spin, but too exhausted to do that tonight.

Back