Please educate me! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please educate me!

NorwegianFord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '91 XLT
- 91 XLT. Has AC, wish to remove it. No gass left, can't buy R12, don't want to convert it to R134 + compressor is probably dead.. AND it would be heavenly to have the extra space without the AC under the hood! So, I want to remove as much as possible of the AC components, but still have normal heating/ventilation in the car (as it would come from the factory without AC).

I have to get the shorter belt, but what else do I need to do/change? What can I remove(the more the better!)? What has to stay on? What components does the 1 gens without AC have that isn't in the AC-cars?

The part in the first image is called? Is it only fastened to the firewall or does it have an opening into the dashboard?

The second image is what? Can i remove it?

Third image? Blower motor? It's connected to the part in the first image? So, do I have to get another blower motor if I wish to remove as much as possible?

Where is the air intake to the heating system? Under the engines airfilter??

Please, anyone? I don't have a clue about AC and heating but I really want to learn..

Attachments

• m_DSC00474.jpg
    m_DSC00474.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 289
  • m_DSC00475.jpg
    m_DSC00475.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 297
  • m_DSC00476.jpg
    m_DSC00476.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 285

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First image is the evaporator case and that's what you're going to remove.

2nd image is the accumulator and that too will go away.

Third image is the fan. The case is screws to is part of the evap case. You need to find a non a/c case to put the fan back into.

You can also remove all a/c hoses and the condenser.

Removing the evap and fan case is very easy. But your problem is going to be installing the fan again. I can't help but think this vehicle was offered without a/c. If so, then you need to locate a fan case that didn't have the a/c option.

However, let me clarify something. One huge obstacle I can see is whether or not the cowls are the same between a/c and non a/c cars. If they are different...if they have different holes cut in them, then you may be out of luck and just flat can't do this. You also need to see of the a/c plenum assy under the dash will still be compatible with the non a/c blower case. There are a lot of questions to answer here before you get too carried away.

OK, thank you for answering! Please have patience with me.. But those who don't ask don't get many answers.. :)

"Removing the evap and fan case is very easy. But your problem is going to be installing the fan again. I can't help but think this vehicle was offered without a/c. If so, then you need to locate a fan case that didn't have the a/c option. "

So if I could modify the old case or find one w/o AC and fit it, everything would be fine? Is that what you are telling me? Removing the evaporator, condenser and hoses will not affect anything? It's two seperate systems?

What regulates the airflow past the firewall, heater core and out of the dashboard? And where is the air intake in a 1 gen without AC? Because the air doesn't go through this (pictures) or does it?

Attachments

• m_DSC00478.jpg
    m_DSC00478.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 286
  • m_DSC00479.jpg
    m_DSC00479.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 298

I can't tell what the first picture is!

Second picture appears to show the trans oil cooler in front of the condenser.

You need to find a non a/c evap case and see if it fits your cowl. I have no idea. If nothing else, I'm sure you could modify the existing a/c evap case to work if you have skills in that area.

The air plenum under the dash handles all the air distribution. That too will be determined by how the non a/c case fits the cowl. Again, you could modify the existing case to work and get rid of a lot of that bulk under the hood.

I'm not certain of the air intake position on a Gen I...but it's not in front of the engine. It should be in the cowl area.

This can be done I'm sure...but I'm not certain it's all worth it. The only thing you are gaining is a little less weight and removal of the bulky case off the cowl. But I'm also certain it can be done to work satisfactorily too.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of modifying your existing case. Remove the case, remove the evaporator, cut off most the evap case, and build you a cover to seal it all back up. It should be the same thickness as the heater motor area all the way across. This way, there are no cowl fitment issues to deal with.

First image is the blower motor case/heater/AC box. Replace it with a non-AC unit from the junkyard, just be careful the plastic is kinda brittle and you don't want to crack it. This is a pita, there are several hard to reach fasteners holding it onto the firewall....all 10mm fasteners IIRC (fastened only to the firewall). Remove and scrap all hoses going to it and the AC evaporator inside....aluminum=$$$. Temporarily removing the heater hoses at the firewall makes all this much easier....it is a pain to get down in there and you'll probably get lots of cuts and scrapes on your hands while doing it, but you'll have sooo much more room under the hood when you're done! Make sure to clean/vacuum out all the old dead leaves and crap while you have the ventilation system open. Do not bother cutting up this box and modding it....I got my box for free (almost) off a parts truck that I had...pick n pull wreckers or the net is a good source for this part too. You'll also need to swap the little temp sensor peice from the outside of this box to the new one. This is a very worthwhile mod imo! :)

The second image is the receive/drier....remove it.

Third image is the blower motor and it unbolts (unplug wire harness too and set it out of your way while swapping parts) and fits right into the non-AC heater box.

AIr intake to the system is the holes next to the wiper blade arms on the cowl....the is no difference between AC and non-AC trucks as far as the body/cab are concerned and all you need to buy is the non-AC heater box (that replaces the one under the hood, not the part under the dash!!!)

You can also remove the AC condenser from in front of the engine radiator...also aluminum so get a few $$$ for the scrap here too. :)

Air flow............for the AC and heater ALL enter through the holes in the cowl up by the wiper blade mounts....it then goes into the heater/AC box and is distributed for heating, cooling, etc. depending on where you have the temperature controls set. The only other place air is brought into the system is when you have the system set at Maximum (or recirculate) and this intake is under the dash....dont' worry about it as it is NOT affected by what you will be removing.

It really is that simple! Just take your time and if it won't come apart look for the missed fastener....don't be tempted and just start pulling, prying or smashing....LOL>

Here are some pictures

To get to the bottom bolt, I went through the fender well.

Attachments

• IMG_0576-1.jpg
    IMG_0576-1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0574-1.jpg
    IMG_0574-1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0575-1.jpg
    IMG_0575-1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0571-1.jpg
    IMG_0571-1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 273

Thank you for all the help guys! I'm replacing the headgaskets ( and maybe the heads..:( ) right now so I'll try to do this at the same time!

Great pics Albino94LTD. NorwegianFord, post some pics of your progress and good luck. :)

Wow! Great pics! It shows there is no difference in the firewalls and all you need is a non a/c heater box. That will really make it clean.

If you have the heads off, this job will take you no time at all.

There is one nut on the inside of the vehicle that needs to be removed in order to remove the evap case. It's on the passenger side, right about the carpet line. Unbolt that when you remove the vacuum lines.

CRAP! Wait a minute. That's Gen II. Not sure on that for Gen I.

Does anyone know if/where I can find a "non ac heater box" on the net? There aren't many 1 gen Exploders or older Rangers here in Scandinavia.. Have talked to wreckers but no luck..

Wow! Great pics! It shows there is no difference in the firewalls and all you need is a non a/c heater box. That will really make it clean.

If you have the heads off, this job will take you no time at all.

There is one nut on the inside of the vehicle that needs to be removed in order to remove the evap case. It's on the passenger side, right about the carpet line. Unbolt that when you remove the vacuum lines.

CRAP! Wait a minute. That's Gen II. Not sure on that for Gen I.

Nope, no nut inside..

Finally got the time to do it.. So much more space now! It was an easy job and the non A/C box fits right on!

Pics of the new one in place and the sooo much bigger old one..

Attachments

• m_DSC00503.jpg
    m_DSC00503.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 249
  • m_DSC00477.jpg
    m_DSC00477.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 230

Back