Please fix my Eddie! 4.6 Stalling at idle when revved. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please fix my Eddie! 4.6 Stalling at idle when revved.

Derty2009

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
I have been having this issue for a long time and it is getting worse. It started out with my ex stalling out when coming to a stop. This was very rare. Once every couple months or so. Now it is stalling out more frequently. It doesnt have an effect on the driveability. Just at idle. When at idle. Neutral or park it make no difference; I rev it up and when it idles back down it just chugs out and dies. It seems like it is starving for fuel or air. Sometimes it will catch itself and stay running but more often then not it dies. I have what sounds like power steering noise which i assume is the torque converter. It is not the power steering pump. I pulled the serp belt off to check that. Any weigh ins would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been having this issue for a long time and it is getting worse. It started out with my ex stalling out when coming to a stop. This was very rare. Once every couple months or so. Now it is stalling out more frequently. It doesnt have an effect on the driveability. Just at idle. When at idle. Neutral or park it make no difference; I rev it up and when it idles back down it just chugs out and dies. It seems like it is starving for fuel or air. Sometimes it will catch itself and stay running but more often then not it dies. I have what sounds like power steering noise which i assume is the torque converter. It is not the power steering pump. I pulled the serp belt off to check that. Any weigh ins would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Could be torque converter sticking thus stalling the truck when stopped.
Could be a air leak somewhere. My wifes protoge did this couldn't figure it out till I sprayed carb cleaner on the manifold gasket and boom there it was...

My 2003 Limited with the 4.6 did a similar thing, only when it is cold, i pulled off the idle cont. valve and cleaned it, seems to solved the problem so far.

Derty2009;2935183I have what sounds like power steering noise which i assume is the torque converter. It is not the power steering pump. I pulled the serp belt off to check that..[/QUOTE said:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are correct in your assumption that the whiney/power steering type noise you hear could be coming from the torque converter. Torque Converters will do this, especially in cold temps. Mine did right after I bought my EX last year in January when it was very cold outside. The whiney noise would quiet down after the vehicle warmed up fully. If you have no other tranny problems going on, a new tranny pump and a fluid change of the pan and filter may get rid of that noise from your torque converter. The dealership I bought my Ex from, had a tranny shop try this type of cheaper fix (pump and fluid change) and it did qet rid of the torque converter whine, but there were other tranny problems going on before this and my tranny needed a rebuild anyhow a week later. The new pump and fluid raised the pressure in the tranny/torque converter getting rid of the whiney noise.

Clean your IAC. My 03 had a similar issue.

Mine did the SAME things. Air leak, bad IAC valve and now, it's a bad evap sensor in my fuel pump. The first 2 were easy fixes... Now it'll cost me $500 :(

Im going to clean the iac tonight. Starting fluid a good remedy for cleaning them on explorers. If not, any suggestions?

Clean or replace the Idle Control Valve. Cleaning may not fix. Also clean the Throttle Body and MAF sensor. disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and you should be good to go. Use only throttle body cleaner on the throttle body and MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor. Starting fluid may not break down the carbon deposits, use carb cleaner or Throttle body cleaner.

Agree with Matt

I would replace the IAC. Our 2003 started acting up and it would stall or die at idle. This included coasting down a hill or setting at a stop. When it eventually went out it would not idle at all. If that does not work let us know.

Cleaned it and it seemed to get worse. Barely idles now. I will just go ahead and replace it. Any idea on the cost?

First check to make sure you don't have a bad vaccum leak.

Wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF sensor too and I'm wondering if your TPS sensor could possibly be bad? Start the Explorer and then unplug the MAF sensor and report back what happens.

When's the last time you changed the plugs and fuel filter?

Like everyone else mentioned and as you did, the IAC valve gets dirty and will stick. I had the same problem and after taking it off and the little black cap(be careful) and A LOT of cleaning later, it works like a charm. I'd suggest recleaning it one more time and really getting at it with cotton swab and make sure everything moves smoothly.

Heck, it wouldn't even be a bad idea to Seafoam the motor for fun...

Lastly, any check engine lights?

limited02 said:
heck, it wouldn't even be a bad idea to seafoam the motor for fun...

:)

Cleaned it and it seemed to get worse. Barely idles now. I will just go ahead and replace it. Any idea on the cost?

New ones are around $80 on rockauto.com I would also recommend only getting a motorcraft one. I had one from Autozone and is didn't work for crap and it was more $$, go figure.

Its drive by wire so there is no tps. Im looking for a new iac but every parts store around has to special order it. No vacuum leaks. I sprayed all the lines with starting fluid. No rpm fluctuation. Hopefully a new iac fixes it.

Its drive by wire so there is no tps. Im looking for a new iac but every parts store around has to special order it. No vacuum leaks. I sprayed all the lines with starting fluid. No rpm fluctuation. Hopefully a new iac fixes it.

02-03 did not have drive by wire, only 04+.

Edit: Did you try unplugging the MAF sensor while it was idling?

Edit again: I can take a picture of it if needed.

I cleaned the maf sensor. I had to drive about an hour to get an idle air control. Here is the problem now. I understand that the ecm will have to learn that there is a new iac but how long should it take? Right now it just idles around 1600 rpm. No fluctuation but its idling high. Threw code P0507. Which is just basically idling higher than it should be.

I cleaned the maf sensor. I had to drive about an hour to get an idle air control. Here is the problem now. I understand that the ecm will have to learn that there is a new iac but how long should it take? Right now it just idles around 1600 rpm. No fluctuation but its idling high. Threw code P0507. Which is just basically idling higher than it should be.

Check to make sure that all the vacuum lines and intake hoses are correctly routed and tight. Did you disconnect the battery after installing the new IAC? You can try to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so to clear the PCM. Then restart and let idle until it reaches operating temp and drive it around for awhile. Also, what brand replacement did you use? I had problems with Auto Zone IAC's and others on here did as well. I finally got a motorcraft one and all is well.

Defective part ended up being the problem. The brand was bwd from advance auto. Runs like new now :) Thanks for every ones help.

Iac control

After reading your posts, I also changed my IAC control on my 2003 Explorer XLT with 81,000 miles. I knew as soon as she started that was the answer. Thanke for all your posts, they were very helpful.:us:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Iac

Hi Everybody

could you please tell me where is the location of the IAC valve in a 2006 explorer XLT

Please include a picture with a highlighted IAC Exact location

Thnaks

Back