Please Help, '00 XLT Will Not Shift Out of Park ..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help, '00 XLT Will Not Shift Out of Park .....

gorfra

Reaction score
City, State
Brockville, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT V6
Over the last week I have been only able to drive my Explorer by turning the key swich to OFF, moving the shift to 'N' and starting it. Now when I drive, the cruise control does not work and the doors do not automatically lock.

My question is this:

Are these items related to the Shift Interlock Solenoid not working? The Ford dealership told me that they are independent systems and I need to get each checked and repaired. For some reason I cannot bring myself to believe them. I am currently waiting for the Shift Interlock Solenoid to come in so that I can get that repaired first.

Thanks in advance...

All of your issues are probably related to the brake switch. You have to have your foot on the brake to shift out of park, cruise control turns off when you touch your brakes, and the doors lock after you release your brakes after you first start. Have someone check and see if your brake lights are working.....

When it first happened I checked the fuses (OK) and my brake lights (The brake lights would light up if I pressed the brake).

I have just come from picking up my Explorer with a new Shift Interlock Solenoid and everything seems to be working fine again. They are still trying to convince me to change the cruise switch and get them to diagnose the door locks.

Is the Brake Switch the same as the Shift Interlock Solenoid?

Brake switch is attached to the brake pedal. Not sure where/what the shift interlock solenoid is. If replacing that fixed all the problems, that's great!

Back