Please Help - 2003 Ford Explorer Won't Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help - 2003 Ford Explorer Won't Start

2003fordexplorerga

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Hi all, need some help figuring out how to fix my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT V6 that won't start. I was initially having some issues with dimming interior lights. I thought it was the battery and bought a new one. Truck was driving fine for a few days after that and then as I was driving one day all the electricity to the interior cut out, but the truck was still driveable until I got home. Once I turned it off, I couldn't get it started again. At first I would hear clicking noises, and then eventually I could not hear anything when I try to turn the ignition, and no electricity to internal dashboard. I read a few posts online and someone suggested the ignition switch, which I changed as well but still nothing. I am guessing now it could be the alternator? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at the fuse boxes and start checking for blown fuses or chewed wiring

Sounds like your alternator quit charging the battery. It ran until the battery ran out of juice.
Does it start/run with a jump start?

Time to remove the alternator and have it tested

Sounds like your alternator quit charging the battery. It ran until the battery ran out of juice.
Does it start/run with a jump start?

Time to remove the alternator and have it tested
Thanks. I tried to jump start it and it would not start. I'll plan on removing the alternator and getting it tested, and will also check for any blown fuses.

Took me a while to get back to this. Turned out the alternator was bad. Switched it out for a new one. Had to jump the battery after also as it was drained. Started up like a champ after that. Thanks for the help.

Back