please help - 2010 exp EB 4wd and turning problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please help - 2010 exp EB 4wd and turning problems

NGS811

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer EB 4wd
hello everyone,
i am lost and cant seem to find the right answer. i have a 2010 Explorer EB A4wd V6, i was driving one day and after coming to a stop i proceeded to make a left hand turn the front drivers side tire binded up. after stopping and trying to go again the tire seemed to make 3/4 of a rotation and binded up again. i had to let off the gas tap the break for it to release, it did butnot even a full rotation later it binded again andhas done it since. while it was binding up, theTC light would come on. after doing this a few times the 4x4 light would come on and id need to stop and hit the 4x4 auto button to get it out of 4wd. this happened the whole way until i got home. i proceeded to change the drivers side half shaft, hub assembly, front diff, drivers sidetie rod, and caliper rotor and pads. Now it does not bind while drivint straight but when turning and was still showing the TC light and putting itself into 4x4. i then decided to disconnect the 4wd connector on the transfer case to see if it was something with thr 4wd system. it driversbetter and doesnt do it everytime i turn but did do it again 2 times in about a 12 turn drive. Dont know what to do or where to go from here. any thoughts ideas or help would be greatlyappreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me get it straight:
you already have replaced:

the drivers side half shaft,
hub assembly,
front diff,
drivers side tie rod,
caliper rotor and pads

wow, that's a lot of parts.
I was going to say the CV shaft, and then front diff, but you did that already.

Next, I am thinking it's the transfer case. Can you disconnect the front driveshaft and see if it does it ?
Maybe, that's what binding and holding the wheel thru the small driveshaft ?
Otherwise, something electronic like ABS sensor or Traction Control ???

thanks for the reply, sorry i forgot yo add before i even did the front diff, i took off the drive shaft (from frnt diff to T/C) to see if it was the TC or the front diff before i replaced either. since it was still doing it, thats why i replaced the front diff. i was thinking maybe the speed sensors, or something to do with the 4wd or traction control electrical system (ex. shift motor, control module, etc) but dont know what to test or where to start, any help or a place to start would be great.
Thanks

That sounds like ABS issue, my wild guess.

I know you replaced the hub with the sensor itself, did you use the new ABS harness ? If yes, can you trace the wire to see any problems ? Can you scan for codes ? They are there, you can't see them with regular OBD scanner, Forscan would see them.

I'm just wondering if your battery is charged and the alternator is working as it should? I read somewhere that a member had crazy things take place due to his battery and alternator malfunction.

funny you should say about the scanning the abs system, the light just came on last night when i tried taking it for a quick spin, i am going to hook up my scanner to it, it is just a obd scanner but ill see if i can rent the other scanner you mentioned. also i did put in the new abs harness and i am going to check it today for power make sure the harness is broken or what not. will update later on with what i find.
thanks

so quick update, i didnt get the abs scanner yet but i hooked up my meter to the pins inside the front wss. the front left, which is the one i replaced, had a .43 reading both ways ( i switched the red and black leads to each pin). on the right side, i got a 2.03 reading with red and black one way and then got a run down from a high ohm reading to an open reading in a couple seconds. would that mean that thay wss is bad? its on the passenger side of the car where i havent had any issues, its still the drivers side tire causing all the problems. any thoughts? will update when i have the abs scanned

Any luck, it's been a couple months. I'm wondering if the wss is bad on the passanger side, your TC, ABS, ect. is regestering no wheel speed on that side, so it's trying to slow down the wheel on the opposite side, drivers.

all fixed, i ended up taking off the hub i bought on the drivers side ans exchanging it for a new one and ssme problem. those were from auto zone. i then said let me go somewhere else, i now did both sides and got them from advanced auto and there have been no issue's. truck is riding great, all the lights have gone off, the 4wd works perfectly again and the steering/front tires are nice and tight. So stay away from autozones hub assemb, 2 bad back to back and it not only being the sensor that was bad but the bearings as well, it pays off to pay the couple extra bucks for moog brand because it obviously better in every way. any other questions or anything please feel free to ask.

thanks to everyone who helped with yhis project. much appreciated, please feel free to ask if you need anything or advice.

I have never had good luck with ANYTHING from AutoZone! Glad everything is working great!

Back