Please Help, 4.0 SOHC stuttering problem - Totally stuck! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help, 4.0 SOHC stuttering problem - Totally stuck!

Advan

Reaction score
City, State
Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi folks,
Im a new user to explorer forum (so apologies for this being my first post, grovelling for help) I live in the UK and I purchased a Ford Explorer a few months back. It’s 1997 4.0 SOHC model. The car has a six point sequential LPG system and has done 102,000 miles and has always been well maintained. It’s in very good condition indeed!

Here is the problem:
The engine stuttered on LPG when it came on load between 2000rpm and 3000rpm and would randomly cut out at will. It would not accelerate away from standard and popping sounds came from the airbox, which I am sure is bad ignition or backfiring. It wouldn’t pull cleanly and the performance was reduced across the rev range. I figured it was old plugs (LPG systems are especially hard on the ignition system) So we changed the plugs to what ford recommended and gapped the plugs to 1.3mm (as ford recommended)

The new plugs have actually made the problem worse.

The car now also stutters (very slightly) between 2000rpm and 3000rpm on petrol (didn’t do that before) and on LPG it won’t cruise on the motorway and is almost un-drivable between 2000 – 3000rpm while under load. HOWEVER: It does pull away much cleaner from a stand still (LPG) and is much better around town.

Im stumped – it seems like an ignition problem but I don’t know where to go from here. Does anybody have any other ideas? I am quite frankly fresh out.

Apparently the previous owner said that the system needed a second LPG regulator for the 4.0ltr engine. But I have spoken to the LPG system manufacturer direct and they say that the system that is installed is designed for large capacity V6 and V8 engines. So the large single regulator should be fine.

My Gut, tells me that it’s not the LPG system as the back firing indicates a lack of/poor ignition – rather than a malfunctioning system with poor fuel delivery.

HELP! The explorer is my daily driver and running it on petrol (at the US equivalent of $2.00 a litre, £0.99) is killing me.

Thanks 

Chris

EDIT: I forgot to add that the engine check light is on (small yellow engine shaped light in the bottom right hand corner of the dash) im just looking up how to check the fault codes now...

what is an LPG system?

LPG = Liquid Propane Gas = BBQ fuel

get the codes read... that will help a lot. cheap reader can be got on-line (ebay). Of course, you know the sohc engine has timing problems in its history in terms of mechanical "malfunctions" (ie. timing chain/cassettes). There are lots of posts on this. The other possibility / thought is the crankshaft position sensor might be in "trouble".

Back