Please Help 4x4 Question

boomer75_75

Reaction score
City, State
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
What's up guy & girls!!

My question is this i own 94 ford explorer xlt, runs great ( knocking on wood ). This is my first 4x4 vehicle, i had to look up some posts to learn how to engage the 4x4 ( i thought you just press the 4x4 button and thats all you need to do while you are driving and the 4x4 would engage itself but i was wrong ) so i would like to get as much information as possible so i can learn the proper way to lock & unlock the 4x4 system and how to use it?

in December we had a bad snow storm we got 15 in., so i engaged the 4x4 system for driving ( first i pressed 4x4 button and the light pops on, then i heard the computer going on and the that was it, then i pressed 2x4 the light pops on, then i heard aloud clunk sound i guess the hubs locking or engaging and i drove away in the snow, but it seemed the 4x4 or 2x4 was working fine because as soon as you drove on wet clean pavement the front wheels started making load grinding noises but once you get on snow again the noise goes away.....now this is where i get confused, the way i engaged the 4x4 then 2x4 buttons and both light where on what was running the 4x4 or the 2x4???? )

and i noticed that the abs brakes kept locking up every time i would slow down and stop the vehicle that day while the 4x4 system was engaged and when it wasn't turned on it would stop with no problems???

Like i said if you guys can throw some information my way so i can understand how this 4x4 system works and how to drive with it.

I will appreciate your reply's Thank You!!!!!

The 4x4 system in the 91-94 Explorers is NOT MEANT FOR DRIVING ON WET CLEAN PAVEMENT.

The loud noise was because the front wheels were trying to slip (by design they do this so you can get more traction on slippery loose surfaces) and instead the grip on pavment was winding up the 4x4 gears and drivetrain. Eventually this will BREAK the 4x4 system, possibly even in spectacular fashion, leaving you with a disabled vehicle.

Basically, don't use the 4x4 unless you're in deep snow or off-road where the front wheels can move freely.

Don't EVER engage the 4x4 on pavement unless it's covered in lots of snow or ice or mud or really deep dirt, or a ton of gravel.

Use it to get yourself unstuck, then disengage it when going back on-road (and don't forget to drive backwards 10-20 feet until you hear a *click* after using 4x4 so the auto hubs will disengage)

Back