Please Help!!! - 97 Explorer - 4.0L SOHC - DTC P0741 - No Overdrive (5R55E) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help!!! - 97 Explorer - 4.0L SOHC - DTC P0741 - No Overdrive (5R55E)

hamburgerlar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
First, let me thank explorerforum and all its users for helping me out with a resolution to almost every issue that I have ever had with my vehicle. I never would think to touch under the hood of my car, and thanks to this community I no longer think twice before getting my hands dirty. Unfortunately I fear i have now reached the end to my success. This is my first post and I will try and explain my issue and all of the work I have performed with no success.

The issue:
My car currently shifts fine on gears 1 through 4 (Smooth with no flares). The car stays between 1500 - 2000 rpm when going up to 45-50 mph. Once over 45-50 mph the O/D light flashes and the engine has to go between 2500 and 3000 rpm to go 65 mph. Also when decelerating the transmission shifts a bit harder (I think this is because of the torque converter being locked). Once the car engine is off for a couple hours, the light is cleared and the DTC code is gone. When the O/D light is flashing, the DTC is "p0741 torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off".

When the issue first started, I could still get into overdrive, but I would have to purposely keep the rpms around 2000 at around 50 mph. I would then see the overdrive kick in (the car would shift and the rpms would drop down to 1500) and be able to accelerate to around 65-70 with the engine running a little over 2000 rpm.

My car is at 136,000 Miles.

Work Done:
- Changed fluid, filter and checked level (As recommended by the community) (original fluid was in great condition, not burnt or brown (transmission fluid changed every 30,000 miles) I am pretty sure the level is correct. The dipstick does not have full and empty, It has 2 holes and then thatched after the second hole. When cold, the fluid is at the second hole and when hot it is in the middle of the thatched.

- Replaced valve body and all solenoids (All New [Did not want to rebuild]) (As recommended by the community)

- Replaced valve body wire harness (New) (As recommended by the community)

- Replaced PCM and have most up to date software flashed. (New) (As recommended by the community)

- Adjusted the overdrive and intermediate bands to spec (As recommended by the community)

- Replaced torque converter (New) (As recommended by the community)

Sorry for the long post. I tried to be as descriptive as possible. Thank you in advance for all your replies. Hopefully I can get out of this hole as I cannot afford a new car right now :(

It has been a while but I will ask anyway, did you fix the problem with your tran or ended up changing it? I have the exact same problem but did not start yet to change or do anything.
Thanks for your reply.

A code P0741 is no torque converter lock up, has nothing to do with overdrive. Besides the valve body and torque converter there are seals on the pump which can cause this problem, along with to much internal leakage. It can be as simple to fix as replacing the TC solenoid or being a rebuild. There is no easy answer for this problem as many things can cause it.

A code P0741 is no torque converter lock up, has nothing to do with overdrive. Besides the valve body and torque converter there are seals on the pump which can cause this problem, along with to much internal leakage. It can be as simple to fix as replacing the TC solenoid or being a rebuild. There is no easy answer for this problem as many things can cause it.

X2!
I've had the same code four times.....34,77,97,112 even had a full teardown and rebuild to no avail....im going with a ETE reman...3 yr 100k warranty...my shop made it unlimited with towing....

Back