PLEASE HELP! Boggs under accelleration cyl 4 misfire code. PLEASE HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP! Boggs under accelleration cyl 4 misfire code. PLEASE HELP!!!

cincydru

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLS
i have a 2000 explorer xls and it is running rough.

its throwing the P0304 cyl 4 misfire.

so far i've replaced: wires, plugs, pcv valve, pressure sensor, coil pack, and its still running rough.

i can not find out what the problem is. so far i've gathered from searches on this site is the lower intake manifold gasket? im CLUELESS..

it boggs down alot while accellerating in what seems to be 4th gear. it also boggs while going uphills under heavy accelleration.

when going around 70mph the check enging light flashes, but stays on.. it has a few other codes it throws cant remember exactly what it is right now.

has anybody else had this problem before? can anyone help with solutions! I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would do a compression test and or a leak down test on that cylinder before buying more parts

a compression test,, why , we want the codes from the computer first,, they telll ypu what it is doing , and why,,
so, before you throw a whole bunch of money , and parts at it,, get the codes from the computer ,. and we will try to help you ,

a compression test,, why , we want the codes from the computer first,, they telll ypu what it is doing , and why,,
so, before you throw a whole bunch of money , and parts at it,, get the codes from the computer ,. and we will try to help you ,

So he can know the condition of that cylinder, that's why. He already knows only one cylinder is misfiring (because of the magical code he has) and he has pretty much replaced the entire ignition system. So besides swapping injectors around (which would take more time than a compression or leakdown test on that cylinder) I would do a compression or leak down test.
And yes, he can still get the codes read also.

Im having the same problem on my 98 mountaineer i replaced my plugs and fuel filter so far but another code im getting also is a P0153 sensor cuircit slow (bank 2 sensor 1), i was told that it can be the 02 sensor or it could be a bad mass air flow sensor, i cleaned the mass airflow and its still doing it, so i guess it could be bad all togather or it could be the 02 sensor guess ill have to trial and error it. any 1 know a good cheap parts place online? :(

I think you can unplug the mass air flow sensor & it'll throw the thing into "dummy" mode. If it runs better it could be the MAF but from personal experience, there are so many sensors that are all inter-connected that the MAF may not end up being the problem anyway. I would do a compression test too as the others have suggested, I'm not too sure about how the error codes work with individual cylinders but it may also be a bad catalytic converter if it's really bad under acceleration or going uphill. (I wouldn't think a bad cat would throw a misfire code in one cylinder but who knows)

you may not think it could be from something so little, but try new spark plugs.

At night I could see a big spark shooting from the wire straight to the head every few revs on my girlfriends. It was a crack in the wire boot insulation.

if i had a bad spark plug wire wouldnt it shock me if i grabbed it while it was running cause i tried that lol yeah im a dumbass lol

It could very well be a cracked plug. I had an 81 Honda that had identical symtems as you have and the plug was cracked. Try replacing the #4 plug and see if it helps.

just changed all the plugs this last weekend and still doing it thanks tho im going to ake off all the air intake **** and see if theres a messed up vaccume line or something on it then if not i guess ill go and buy the 02 sensor

after a few clicks from an army website (since im in the army i have access to).. i found anything and everything including ALL CODES my truck could possibly throw...

and its coming down to the

Trouble Code: P0304 (4.0L V6 VIN E Auto)
Cylinder Number 4 Misfire Detected Print this code data

Number of Trips to Set Code: 2

OBD II Monitor Type: CCM Details
Indicators: MIL Details

■MISFIRE Details
■MIL Details
Trouble Code Conditions:
DTC P0136, P0156, P0171, P0172, P0175, P1130 and P1150 not set, engine started, engine running under positive torque conditions, and the PCM detected a misfire a misfire in Cylinder 4 during the 200 revolution (Catalyst) or 1000 revolution (High Emissions

Possible Causes:

■Air leak in the intake manifold, or in the EGR or PCM system

■Base engine mechanical problem that affects only Cylinder 4

■Fuel delivery component problem that affects only Cylinder 4 (i.e., a contaminated, dirty or sticking fuel injector)

■Ign

and

Trouble Code: P0304 (4.0L V6 VIN E Auto)
Cylinder Number 4 Misfire Detected Print this code data

Number of Trips to Set Code: 2

OBD II Monitor Type: CCM Details
Indicators: MIL Details

■MISFIRE Details
■MIL Details
Trouble Code Conditions:
DTC P0136, P0156, P0171, P0172, P0175, P1130 and P1150 not set, engine started, engine running under positive torque conditions, and the PCM detected a misfire a misfire in Cylinder 4 during the 200 revolution (Catalyst) or 1000 revolution (High Emissions

Possible Causes:

■Air leak in the intake manifold, or in the EGR or PCM system

■Base engine mechanical problem that affects only Cylinder 4

■Fuel delivery component problem that affects only Cylinder 4 (i.e., a contaminated, dirty or sticking fuel injector)

■Ign

both have "intake manifold" listed... im beginning to think its the gaskets or a line thats rotted somewhere... can anyone point me to the rubber hoses that they might think is the problems that may be common to go bad often or something? i have a feeling this is an easy fix (prays crosses fingers)

BTW, this is chiltonlibrary.com i have access to :) i also have access to automotive repair reference center.. i just found this out LOL....

i hope someone on this board can point me to the hoses i should check to see if their cracked etc... thanks again for everyones help.. ill keep you updated!

BTW - I WILL WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS GO GET THE CEL CODES SCANNED FOR YALL!!

Back