PLEASE HELP! Constant Noise when driving on 4x4 V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP! Constant Noise when driving on 4x4 V8?

bsimas

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Grove, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 XLT
We purchased a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 V8. Since we drove it home new on the first night, there is a constant noise (sounds like it is from the front to middle row) when driving and goes away at a stop. It almost sounds like a louder than normal differential, transmission, or engine noise. I have asked the service department where we bought the vehicle and they say it is a normal noise on the 4x4 V8 engine and it is not a safety concern.

Does anybody know what I am talking about. Have you had this same concern?

PLEASE HELP!

The dealership service department has offered to rebuild the differential, but I do not want non original parts on my vehicle if it is not going to fix the problem.

What should I do?

Thank you for your time,
B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds a bit odd that they would offer to rebuild a diff for a "normal" noise, don't you think?

I can't help you with the noise though, I don't know anything about newer models, sorry

Are you in 4x4 or is in engaging while you drive? Is it slippery and snowy out? Differentials are under the engine and under the rear end so wanting to rebuild one when the noise is mid cab doesn't make sense. I'd try taking it off road, just on some dirt and put it in 4 wheel and drive a little, see if it makes it worse, better, same. Then try in 4 wheel low and see if it's worse, same, whatever. If the noise changes when you shift the transfer case then chances are it's something to do with right there. Ask the service department what causes the noise, specifics and write them down and post'em back here. People here should be able to call their B.S.

Are you in 4x4 or is in engaging while you drive? Is it slippery and snowy out? Differentials are under the engine and under the rear end so wanting to rebuild one when the noise is mid cab doesn't make sense. I'd try taking it off road, just on some dirt and put it in 4 wheel and drive a little, see if it makes it worse, better, same. Then try in 4 wheel low and see if it's worse, same, whatever. If the noise changes when you shift the transfer case then chances are it's something to do with right there. Ask the service department what causes the noise, specifics and write them down and post'em back here. People here should be able to call their B.S.

No, we are not in 4x4 and it is under normal conditions. The noise seems like it is in the front passenger side area, but you know with noises that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The noise does not get louder when you go faster, but it is only there when you are moving. The service department says that there is no information yet because it is a new model and that is why I have been checking online. I will take it on some dirt and see what happens. Anything else I should try?

Is the noise a grind, a scrape, a squeal? Does it go away when braking? Get worse/better? Try changing up variables like that. If you put it in 4 wheel drive and it goes away or gets much worse then chances are it's something with the 4 wheel drive. Hub, cv shafts, differential. Same thing with braking, if it varies while braking then maybe a caliper is stuck and the pads are dragging on the rotor. Also if it's a grinding chances are with new brakes it's not brake related so either hub or cv shaft. Whn in neutral and you rev the engine to say 2500 rpms does it do it? Does it do it in reverse? Does it do it when your in 1st or 2nd or 3rd or whatever else they have for gear selections on your shifter? You could also take one of my fav approaches with Ford and be a GIANT pain in the ass about it until they get fed up and REALLY check into it. It should be under warranty correct? If so bring it back every day till they fix the problem if you got the time to do so that is. It's a pain in the butt but also I wouldn't want to pay that kinda money for a vehicle that's already not running 100%.

Is the noise a grind, a scrape, a squeal? Does it go away when braking? Get worse/better? Try changing up variables like that. If you put it in 4 wheel drive and it goes away or gets much worse then chances are it's something with the 4 wheel drive. Hub, cv shafts, differential. Same thing with braking, if it varies while braking then maybe a caliper is stuck and the pads are dragging on the rotor. Also if it's a grinding chances are with new brakes it's not brake related so either hub or cv shaft. Whn in neutral and you rev the engine to say 2500 rpms does it do it? Does it do it in reverse? Does it do it when your in 1st or 2nd or 3rd or whatever else they have for gear selections on your shifter? You could also take one of my fav approaches with Ford and be a GIANT pain in the ass about it until they get fed up and REALLY check into it. It should be under warranty correct? If so bring it back every day till they fix the problem if you got the time to do so that is. It's a pain in the butt but also I wouldn't want to pay that kinda money for a vehicle that's already not running 100%.

I will try your recommendations this weekend and let you know. It's not a grinding brake noise, but the noise is difficult to explain. It just sounds like a louder engine or transmission, but not high pitched like a whine or belt noise. If I am trying the 4x4 items, should i take it in the dirt or will regular driving make the change (since the noise is constant when we are driving)?

Thank you for all your help,
B

P.S. If anybody has anything else to add or suggest, please let me know.

If you drive in 4x4 on pavement you'll bind the 4x4 system up and potentially do damage to parts. The surfaces you drive on need to be slippery, hence dirt, to allow the turning wheels to slip. A sandy area with loose dirt would be best.

I Know The Sound

Hello-

We are experiencing the same problem. The dealership has been working since November to correct the problem. They have tried everything from removing the retractable running boards to replacing body mounts and the noise is still there.

I found this recall notice http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm. Concerned about the safety of our family, I called the Ford Motor Company to address my concerns. The CSR asked for details and "escalated" my claim to the powers that be. I am supposed to get a call within the next 2 business days.

Will let you know what transpires.

Susan

P.S. The noise sounds like something in the suspension is stressed. It is somewhat of a CLUNK, CLUNK. Ours started out in the driverside front wheel area & travels all over the vehicle. Sometimes it is louder than others and at times I can feel it in the floorboard & break pedal.:mad:

Clunk

The noise hapns all the time. I can be taking off from a dead stop & it will make the noise.

Hello-

We are experiencing the same problem. The dealership has been working since November to correct the problem. They have tried everything from removing the retractable running boards to replacing body mounts and the noise is still there.

I found this recall notice http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm. Concerned about the safety of our family, I called the Ford Motor Company to address my concerns. The CSR asked for details and "escalated" my claim to the powers that be. I am supposed to get a call within the next 2 business days.

Will let you know what transpires.

Susan

P.S. The noise sounds like something in the suspension is stressed. It is somewhat of a CLUNK, CLUNK. Ours started out in the driverside front wheel area & travels all over the vehicle. Sometimes it is louder than others and at times I can feel it in the floorboard & break pedal.:mad:

Please let me know what happens. Out noise is definately not a clunk noise. It does not sound like something in the suspension, but more in the drivetrain components. But please let me know what you find regarding your noise and I will make sure it is not doing it on ours.

Back