Please Help! Ford Explorer XLT V8 check engine/misfiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help! Ford Explorer XLT V8 check engine/misfiring

KINNEY0201

Reaction score
City, State
PENSACOLA,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT V8
I recently purchased a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT V8. The day after I purchased it the truck started sputtering and the check engine light came on. I ran the codes and it came up with "misfire detected on cylinder # 6". The next day I changed the spark plugs and wires and after that it was running so much better and was running perfectly fine for about 4 days. Then it started sputtering again and the check engine light came on. This time the code is "misfire detected on cylinder # 3". I was told that it was most likely the coil packs, so I changed them both. I am still getting the "misfire detected on cylinder # 3" and the truck is still sputtering and jittery when in park and/or driving. I am getting very frustrated as I just purchased this truck. Can anyone please suggest what the problem may be and what I should do to eliminate these problems from continuing? Thank you very much!

What was the condition of the spark plugs?

Try swapping the plug and wire in cylinder #3 with another cylinder, so eliminate faulty components.

If that doesn't work, run a compression test and let us know what you find.

I double checked the wire connections and found that the wires were reversed at the coil for the 1st and 6th cylinders. The check engine light did not return and it is no longer sputtering. Could that have been causing a misfire on cylinder 3?

Back