please help!! front end "pop" in 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please help!! front end "pop" in 4x4

pmCortez

Reaction score
City, State
Susanville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
ok i have a 94 explorer when i drive in 4x4 every once and a while just cruisin up a hill with light throttle no bumps the front end would just make a loud "pop" noise loud enough to feel. ive researched on the site and i cant find as answer. i just put 3.73 gears, new ball joints, and wheel bearings. the front left rotor is warped and vibrates on the highway when i apply the brakes, i dont think this could have anything to do with it but i thought i would throw that out their. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O.K. Cortez... I'm gonna start by saying sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question... but... I had the same problem in my 94 and for the life of me, I could not find the guilty culpret!!! I had people stand next too it while I wheeled up a small hill and they couldn't even figure it out! I'm not shure if we have the EXACT same problem, because I never could figure it out, but I did narrow it down to the passenger side front ( thanks to my buddy laying on his stomach hanging over the side to see if he could hear anything/die young! ) It was like a binding noise and then POP! It did that to me every time I would wheel... BUT... It stopped as soon as I put my lift on it!!! It hasn't made a noise since! It blows me away that that fixed the "ghost problem"... but I wish you good luck and just wanted to let you know that you not the only one with the suspicious POP! I would love to hear from someone else that actually FOUND the damn problem and beat it to death! Best of luck buddy!

lol well thanks for the quick reply and for trying. it just pisses me off its so damn loud. i sold the x to a friend and got an 04. just trying to figure it out for him cuz its been doin it for a while, and it cant be good but idk.lol thanx

I have a 91 with the same problem. but on the driverside. someone told me it was the auto hubs doin that. after stripping out about 3 sets i finally bought the warn manual hubs and it doesnt do it anymore.

o lol. that seems to simple but i guess ill give it a shot. he want manuals anyway

It's your hubs. I had the same thing. Go to manuals and you'll loose the problem.

Well the hubs could definently b the problem. But we put in 4high on the road just to see, when we would start moving the drivers side wheel would have a binding sound and then" pop" very loud. Do you think it could definently be the auto Hub binding up right?

Yeah, it's the hub. Plus, for future reference...driving on the dry, normal pavement with 4x4 engaged isn't a good idea.

Replace those autohubs with new ones or just put on manuals.

I believe it is the hubs as well. My 91 does the same thing binding then POP!. I replaced the old autos it had on it when I bought it and it stopped for a while. Then while on the trail it started all over and I could not make it up a lil hill with some small ruts. Luckily I made it out in 2wd (not fun). I plan on replacing with manuals pretty soon though. Money dictates my next move.

Back