PLEASE HELP HAVE SPARK AND FUEL YET STILL NO START ON MY 1998 EXPLORER 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP HAVE SPARK AND FUEL YET STILL NO START ON MY 1998 EXPLORER 4.0

Dannyjr

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Ford Explorer v6 4.0
I've done all that I know what to do in this situation yet no results. could it possibly be the PATS system because of the fact that someone did try and steal it.b

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the theft light blinking when you turn it over? If not, it’s not a PATS issue.

If you have spark, and fuel that just leaves timing and compression. Are you a SOHC? If so, does it ever rattle on start up?

If you have spark and fuel then it would at least sound like its trying to start (no just turning over). Take cap, usually blue, off the fuel line and after trying to start it take a screw driver and push it all the way in and if gas doesn't go everywhere you don't have enough fuel pressure to enguage the injectors. That's the simple way of checking it without any pressure tools.

How do you know you have spark?

When did this start? Was it out of now where with no signs?

BTW if the fuel pressure is fine use a scanner and check for a code even if there is no light on. It could be either the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor. Good luck.

If you have spark it's not the crank position sensor and a bad cam position sensor will not stop the engine from starting.

If it's a SOHC V6 it's possible your engine has jumped time, in which case you should start looking for another vehicle.

If you have spark it's not the crank position sensor and a bad cam position sensor will not stop the engine from starting.

If it's a SOHC V6 it's possible your engine has jumped time, in which case you should start looking for another vehicle.

You would know if it jumped time because it would sound awful when turning over and it would still try to start. The crank shaft and cam shaft position sensor determine the coil pack firing and opening and closing of the injectors. The only thing a code reader would be useless on is a fuel issue otherwise a code reader would detect any other the other sensors not working.

My starting point would be to find out if it has fuel pressure to the fuel rail. Second would be using a code reader if you have one.

That’s not necessarily true. If it jumped time, and bent the valves (super common) it wouldn’t try and fire.

You would know if it jumped time because it would sound awful when turning over and it would still try to start. The crank shaft and cam shaft position sensor determine the coil pack firing and opening and closing of the injectors. The only thing a code reader would be useless on is a fuel issue otherwise a code reader would detect any other the other sensors not working.

My starting point would be to find out if it has fuel pressure to the fuel rail. Second would be using a code reader if you have one.

The engine will run with a bad cam sensor, not well but it would still run. The OP has said he checked for spark and is getting spark, if so the crank position sensor is working. By all means he should check for fuel pressure, but also he said he's getting fuel. I have no idea how he's determined either.

When SOHC's jump-time it's typically while trying to start as the chain tensioner's are empty of oil and the chains are at their most slack. Hope that's not the case for the OP's sake, but other's have reported the same no-start symptoms w/out "awful" engine noises after their engines had jumped-time.

Should have had a v8 :)

I've done all that I know what to do in this situation yet no results. could it possibly be the PATS system because of the fact that someone did try and steal it.b
Hello. New here also. sorry you having problems. Was anything around your steering column disturbed? The reason is, from what i searched up, is your PATS antenna looked in the steering column. If it was removed or disconnected could pose a prob. I found this pic. hopefully this helps.
33d1501478610-photo-log-pats-installation-img_5225.jpg

Sometimes them wires rub through to

He did say someone attempted to steal his ride. It could be possible no signal is getting from the key then. In either case, makes sense to check the column to see if anything is out of the norm.

If the theft light isn’t blinking the PATS system is satisfied.

He has spark so the starter circuit is energized, as is the ignition system.

I’d check fuel rail pressure as suggested above.

Have someone turn the motor over with your thumb over the plug holes. I’m betting you’ll find several cylinders with no/low pressure.

Where's the OP if we are gonna help him we need more information

Back