Please help: heater hose transfer tubes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help: heater hose transfer tubes

yingling

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
Hello, I hope someone can help me with my problem. I have been reading and searching this website for a while now and it has helped me out alot with other problems that I have had, but I cannot seem to find an answer to my problem either here or with the factory manuals. You guys seem to have a great relationship with each other, and always willing to help. Here is the problem that I am having. 1997 4.0 SOHC engine. 80K The coolant was brownish when I bought it but not too bad. On the pass side of the engine there is a metal bracket/tube assembly that connects the heater core hoses with the engine. This tube assembly is bolted to the engine, and it has a pinhole leak in it. I have a coolant smell and staining on the exhaust manifold. I want to fix this before it gets any worse, and I get stuck somewhere. I had no luck locating this part on the various ford part websites, and can't even find it in the service manuals. What are my alternatives to fix this problem? Can I eliminate that part and just run new hoses without it? I can't beleive search did not find any info on this, being there are Explorers on this site with triple the mileage on them that I have. Please help, This is my first SUV, and I can see now why people love them so much. Joe from Pa.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the Heater Control Valve to me. Should be an AutoZone part, don't go to the stealership, they'll rape 'ya
Tom

heater control vavle

TOMANDPAT are more then likely correct. I had the same problem. It's about 17 bucks or so at Autozone. Easy fix. I believe you can only get plastic aftermarket valves though, don't quote me.

Thanks for the replies.It is not the Heater control valve. I tried my best to make this a clear post. It is the fluid transfer coolant tube that is leaking.

It's the part that has two tubes attached to a bracket, male fittings on each side and the rubber heater hoses slide over the male fittings? Supply and return side for the heater-core? That is, if I read your post correct.(A picture would REALLY help here)

Thanks fixxxer, thats what I need to fix. I am picture stupid.

You can bypass that piece by using longer heater-hoses or use male to male hose-barbs (barbed hose-splice) to connect the two pieces of hose. You can use the metal or plastic, most of the metal ones are brass, so non-corrosive and only a little more expensive than the ABS plastic hose-barbs. Make sure you use new hose clamps to seal the fittings but if you get the plastic hose-splices, don't tighten the clap down too much or you may crack the splice.

2109012.jpg

39638.jpg

I just completed the repair. I just ran bulk 5/8 heater hose. I still had to reuse the hose manifold because it also served as the transmission dip stick tube support bracket. I just cut the hose ends off of it. It actually looks factory and cleaned that side of the engine bay up. I also reduced a leak possibility by eliminating four extra and unneeded clamps. I don't know why engineers have to over-complicate things. Thanks for the help.

nice name!! good beer!!!:D:thumbsup:

Back