Please Help! Hit a pothole and..

koeniky

Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
So I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited Four Wheel Drive

Today I approached a stop light and I hit a small bump or pothole going about 5-10 mph when I was turning. I felt something shift on the car and the car became loud, almost what it sounds like when there’s a hole in a muffler. But it’s only heard in the cabin and not loud outside the vechile. Anyways. The car gets loud and struggles to shift. I look up and the traction screen is up on the left screen of the instrument panel. Indicates no problems but the thing is I never touched my traction toggle or anything, it was just randomly pulled up.

So I get out and don’t notice anything under the vehicle. I continue to drive slowly home. Get home , shut it off, start it again. The car starts but it struggles to turn over. Still loud noise and rough shifting.

Could the bump have jarred a plug-in that would cause such a weird problem? No emergency lights came up either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Purely a guess. It there are sensors on all 4 wheels that detect speed and slipping to co troll the add. It is possible that a sensor was damaged and it no longer reading properly causing you issues.

I would think you would pop a tire or bubble a sidewall before you damage a sensor or trans from a pothole.

Update.

Shifted really well in drive this morning. Still a loud muffler sounding noise though. Reverse sounds like gears are grinding. Scary.

Mechanic thinks an axel ring may have fallen out when i took the turn. Will update when I hear more.

Just another guess. Have you tried driving with Traction Control turned OFF to see if there is any difference?

Peter

I have no really messed with that yet. It switches to snow, sand, and hill mode just fine but haven’t just completely turned it off.

I know it’s diagnostic to try it, but hoping my mechanic can figure out what’s going on as I live in the Midwest and we just got the first real snowfall of the year.... Great timing!

Mechanic said a bolt in motor mount is either gone or snapped off.

Belt pulley was actually grinding on frame it was shifted so far.

He made it sound like that was the problem.

Have my fingers crossed. And thanks for all the help!

Back