PLEASE HELP!! Issues with headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP!! Issues with headlights

natures child

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4WD
I own a '98 Explorer XLT. It has the automatic headlights.

2 nights ago when I went to start the truck, the headlights did not come on automatically, only the parking lights. I tried turning the headlights on manually but it made no difference. I tried turning the auto headlights off with the lights turned on, still only parking lights. :(

I pushed the turn signal/high beam lever "out" to engage the high beams, still only parking lights. Then I pulled the turn signal/high beams "in" to the position where you have to hold it, and the high beams came on. I played with the lights for a long time, but the only way they would stay on was if I held the high beams "in" toward me.

After driving home (and holding the high beams in the whole ride), I parked in the driveway and let go of the high beams. Go figure, now my normal headlights came on. I pulled the high beam in and let go again, the headlights disappeared again. I pulled it in and released again, headlights on again. :banghead::crazy:

The Explorer did the same thing to me again when I drove it last night. No headlights unless I held the high beams, but then headlights would come on after driving for about 20 minutes and releasing the high beams. I need help with this, is there a fuse or a relay that I need to mess around with to fix this problem?? :(

Please help! :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holding the stalk back bypasses the main headlamp switch. It also uses different circuitry inside the multi-function switch. I had the same thing happen during a road trip from LA to San Francisco, not a fun trip, holding that stupid stalk back the whole time.

In my case it was the headlamp switch that was bad but I think autolamp bypasses that switch. Maybe your multifunction switch is going south.

un plug the auto dim rear view mirror on the back side of the rear view mirror
see if that helps / that slide switch can go bad and cause mayhem

Thanks for the input. If it is the autolamp switch, any idea how I would repair that? The switch on my truck is located on the rear view mirror, am I going to have to replace the rear view mirror completely? How far back will I have to chase the wiring behind the headliner of the truck?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

un plug the auto dim rear view mirror on the back side of the rear view mirror
see if that helps / that slide switch can go bad and cause mayhem

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::):)
Unplugged it and now the headlights are working properly, thanks for that. :salute:

Does anybody know how difficult it would be to replace or repair the auto dim on the mirror? Has anybody ever repaired this or would the whole mirror need to be replaced?0

You can try squirting some electronic cleaner in the slot and moving the slide back and forth a few times. Other than that - probably need to visit a JY and pick up a couple of mirrors and hope one still works. Good luck.

Back