Please help me, engine still won't turn over | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help me, engine still won't turn over

Paulyy___g

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT V8
To start, I was doing work on my 02 XLT 4.6 V8 and in between would start the engine to keep the battery from dying and one day it ran out of fuel. Long story short, the first time driving it after that the engine felt as tho it wasn't getting enough power and then suddenly died and hasn't started since. Luckily it died in the parking lot of a local mechanic and he told me it was the fuel pump. So I replaced the fuel pump today and when I went to start the car, the engine kicked on for about two seconds and now all it does is crank. The fuel pump is running and getting power, I hear it kick on as I turn the key. I just ran a obd scan and it's not throwing any codes. Replaced the relay. Still nothing. Checked the inertia switch, nothing melted and looks good otherwise. I'm going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow but in the meantime, I've been searching and searching for any posts with related issues but can't find anything. Wondering if the fuel injectors could be the issue or maybe the fuel rail pressure sensor or the Fuel Pump Driver Module. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated cuz at this point I'm stumped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you ever changed the fuel filter? You know, running your fuel tank dry on one or many occasions has purported to suck up the gunk and sludge in the bottom of the tank thereby clogging up the fuel filter sooner than later. If you have not changed the fuel filter in a long time or ever I would start there....then, if you still have a problem I would check the fuel pressure but first thing first.

Yes I changed the fuel filter with a brand new Motorcraft one, replaced the relay. The fuel pump is def getting power as I hear it kick on when I turn the key and I turned it about a hundred times before trying to start the engine so that the pump will prime but it still won't start. Def going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow but in meantime I figured I'd see if there are any other ideas

Thanks for your reply also SyberTiger

Why did the local mechanic suspect it was the fuel pump?

Sometimes the "loss of power" issue is related to a clogged catalytic converter but I don't think I've ever heard of a clogged cat preventing an engine start/idle.

You need fuel, air and spark to have fire. Anything you can add regarding air supply or lack thereof or spark? Did you disconnect anything and forget to reconnect when working on the fuel pump and fuel filter?....sounds like you put the fuel pump fuse back in.

BTW, as I recall I don't think there's a way to install the fuel filter incorrectly but then again it's been a while since I last changed mine. Is it possible there's a problem with the fuel filter installation?...I would not think so if it fired up for a couple of seconds.

The mechanic said the fuel pump wasn't running when he turned the key and he was right. It def needed a new pump so I changed the fuel filter while I was at it.

As for air, I had changed the air filter not a week before the fuel pump went, and as I was trying to diagnose the problem myself, I bought CRC MAF sensor cleaner as well as throttle body intake cleaner and went at that.

Spark is the one thing I haven't really checked or messed with, was thinking of changing the plug, wires, and coils tomorrow also. I also bought starting fluid tonight and gonna see if that will get the engine to turn over.

No I made sure the fuel lines going to the fuel filter were correct as I have the return system. I know I hooked everything up correctly when replacing the pump as this is really my second time doing it this week. First time the ground wire coming off the new pump had come off thus no power to the fuel pump. Today I did it all again and now pump has power but still won't turn over.

It's possible your new fuel pump is faulty...it does happen but also possible they sold you the wrong fuel pump. Just for grins, cross reference the part number to make sure they sold you the right one. What brand fuel pump and what part number?

Until you check the fuel pressure you won't be able to close that possible issue out.

It is a PRECISE 402P2339 I ordered from RockAuto. $60 part so not exactly the best money can buy. Maybe that's my problem, if it were that easy I'd be ecstatic. Gonna check the pressure in the morning and I'll make sure I leave an update for you, thanks again for the help

As I was waiting for my buddy to get here with the pressure gauge I changed out all the spark plugs, I knew they were old and thought maybe that was my problem. Nope, engine still won't turn over.

When I checked the fuel pressure at the rail I'm getting nothing, 0psi. So it obviously must be a fuel issue. Thinking about pulling the tank down again and returning the the pump motor and just buying the whole pump assembly. Wondering if the fuel sender is my problem. But when I pull the lines off of the fuel filter, gas is leaking out. Brand new filter so it can't be old fuel. Any suggestions?

Curious to know if you can put a coffee can under the inlet to the fuel filter and turn the fuel pump on for 1/2 to verify fuel is getting to the filter although I know you said there appears to be fuel there. It could be the fuel pump worked long enough to drive fuel just one time before it pooped out. If fuel is clearly pumping to filter the next thing to do is make sure the fuel is coming out of the filter doing the same thing maybe with a short piece of rubber hose. Just a thought...be careful, gasoline highly flammable so watch all sources of heat including incandescent or halogen light bulbs, etc.

Latest Update:
It's been cold and life has got in the way of making any progress on the truck that I'd like but anyway. Swapped out the whole fuel pump assembly with one from the junkyard. Changed out all the spark plugs with new Motorcraft plugs. When I go to start the engine, it'll turn over for a second like it's going to start but doesn't. Fuel line is getting pressure now, when I press the schrader valve in it squirts everywhere. I'm making progress but still will not start and run.

Any ideas of where to go from here? Would a vacuum leak cause the engine not to start? The MAF sensor and throttle body have been cleaned as well as can be. Also when I was changing the spark plugs I noticed that on one of them it seemed to have been drenched in coolant/oil, is that normal?

See if it will run on starting fluid. Vacuum leak won't keep it from starting but fuel pressure below spec will.

Thanks for the reply. Going to try starting fluid tomorrow. Just seems odd as I'm getting fuel pressure at the fuel rail, maybe it is below spec like you said. Also did some reading into threads that had similar issues as mine and the only thing I haven't tried is the crankshaft position sensor so since it's a rather inexpensive part I'm gonna replace that as well and hope for the best.

I've replaced parts and the new part ended up being defective. I'd stay focused on the fuel first. Get a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. I think 30-40 psi is what the pump should put out.

It sounds like you might have had some crud work up into the fuel rail. I recently got a 2002 mountaineer with a 4.6l running after it sat for almost a year. I ended up changing the fuel filter and flushing the fuel rail. I took each injector off and cleaned them and checked the resistance ( ~11 to 12 ohms I recall ) and reinstall. They were rather gunked up.

It sounds like you might have had some crud work up into the fuel rail. I recently got a 2002 mountaineer with a 4.6l running after it sat for almost a year. I ended up changing the fuel filter and flushing the fuel rail. I took each injector off and cleaned them and checked the resistance ( ~11 to 12 ohms I recall ) and reinstall. They were rather gunked up.
What product did you use to clean the injectors once you took the fuel rail off? Did it not start before you cleaned them and once cleaned it started no problem? I'm wondering if that's my problem as well, because when I first pressed the Schraeder valve in, the fuel came out almost foamy so maybe it did get some crud in the injectors. I'd really appreciate if you could explain how you went about flushing the rail and cleaning the injectors. Think that's going to be my next course of action

I also bought a new crankshaft position sensor and was in the middle of replacing it til I realized the AC compressor needs to be moved for the sensor to pull all the way out grrrr. Also don't have a helper to pull the serpentine belt off as I'm doing the whole belt tensioner deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's very easy to remove the upper radiator shroud. Then remove the fan clutch using an O'Reillys free loaner fan clutch removal tool. That will make it easy to remove the fan belt. Then you'll have lots more room to reach down from the top and remove the one small bolt that holds the crankshaft position sensor from the timing chain cover.

Back