Please Help me Find the Perfect Style of Rims!! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Please Help me Find the Perfect Style of Rims!!

I am wanting to go to a 17 inch rim for my 97 XLT. I am super picky about my wheels and I have been looking through everything I can find for the perfect rim... I found nothing! I figured you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

I like the double 5-spoke style of wheel like in the pic below, but, I dont want anymore than an 8 inch width. I want a nice, clean, dished in wheel that isnt too flashy and will compliment my truck nicely. I like my chrome but will go for a grey or black chrome if I see something I like. I'm not into black wheels and I need something within the $900 range - for the set. Told ya I'm picky! Thanks for looking guys!

81-Artillery-Chrome-Custom-Wheels-Rims_zps2e3b89ca.jpg

Picture0216131759_3_zps295857f8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
That is very specific, aren't you worried about clearance, with dished rims, and increasing the size aswell? With it being lowered and all does that change any of the clearances? I have to agree though that chrome rim with possibly some sort of accents to break it up would look sick on your Ex.

01STrunner

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
I think black chrome would look sick on your ex with the gray painted cowl. I saw a set, I believe American Racing on a Superduty and they were great looking. Sorry I can't really help with exact wheels as I'm in the same boat and don't seem to like any wheels I find.

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
I only want them dished as much as the rims I have. no clearance issues at all, but thats also why I dont want a wider wheel, because I dont want to run into issues. I would love to find some black chrome wheels. I'll look thru american racing's stuff again and see what there

Kazer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sneads Ferry, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Excursion PSD
The rim that immediately came to my mind were MB Gunner 5 wheels. But I think theyre 17x8.5. I''ve got low data signal on my phone or else I'd link a picture. I think they can be had somewhere around $130 a piece

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
mbmgu5_am_xl_zpsd980ad89.jpg

Those I like!!

Im thinking paint in the inset area on the spokes the same color as the grey on my hood and put a blue pin in there... Sweet! Hopefully I can find them in a 7 or 8 inch width, but 8.5 is better than 9. I dont think that will make a notable difference on my mileage. I knew someone would have a suggestion that would be different than what I could find :D

01STrunner

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
MB Wheels are pretty sweet. I'm going to miss mine but they wont fit over a Dana44 :(

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
go figure, they are no longer in production, but they are still available.. Im gonna have to get them before I have the money for them lol.

Anybody know what back spacing I should go with? and they are 5x5.25 bolt pattern right?

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger

Kazer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sneads Ferry, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Excursion PSD
Looks like they only come 8" wide for 17" models. If you can find a set, 5x4.5 or 5x114.3 and I think they only come in a -6 offset

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
Looks like they only come 8" wide for 17" models. If you can find a set, 5x4.5 or 5x114.3 and I think they only come in a -6 offset

I can deal with 8". a tire that wide would add to the appearance.
will that offset work on the Ex? I dont mind if they stick out as much as the tires i have now. I'll have a kind of squared sidewall tire on them.

And I dont know why I said 5.25, I know thats not right :/

Kazer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sneads Ferry, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Excursion PSD

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL