Please help me identify this part

sclausel

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Greetings,

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205179&highlight=liftgate+lock

In the second picture down in this link, is the black plastic "bracket" holding the rear liftgate lock cylinder a one-piece unit. Specifically, is the part where the red-tipped bolt shows through attached to the cylinder holder or is it just a clip that presses the button holder tight to the door? My problem is that when I press the liftgate glass button only the bottom bolt is holding the cover in place and it pushes away from the top bolt and that makes the button go in ****ed and it sticks in. I can't tell if its an ear that has broken off or if it is a clip that I can loosen and then put right and retighten.

I've looked all over and the closest part I can find is a "lock cylinder retainer" but the pictures are not very clear at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone help me out on this one?

Liftgate lock cylinder assy #7 on the following:
http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlo...670&callout=11&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Lock Cylinder —Liftgate
Removal

NOTE: Individual lock cylinders are repaired by discarding the inoperative cylinder and building a new lock cylinder using the appropriate lock repair package. The lock repair package includes a detailed instruction sheet to build the new lock cylinder to the current key code of the vehicle.

If equipped, remove the liftgate lock actuator. For additional information, refer to Actuator—Liftgate Lock .
Remove the liftgate latch remote control. For additional information, refer to Latch Remote Control—Liftgate .
Remove the liftgate lock cylinder.
Remove the nuts.
Remove the liftgate lock cylinder.
If equipped, disconnect the electrical connector.

Installation

NOTE: Manually close the liftgate window latch to set the latch control rod length.

NOTE: Make sure the liftgate window latch actuating rod is not preloading the liftgate window latch. It should be clipped in a relaxed state with no slack.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Thanks

Thanks, dude. I'll order one this week.:thumbsup:

$147,dealer only.I hope for your wallet that you can prove me wrong but that's what it cost me.:D

Dealer only?

I'll have to do some more checking. Does anyone else have a "vote" on this particular part??

Another poke at it

http://www.partswebsite.com/fordpar...d=61026&subcatid=65371&section=141&type=parts

I need another set of eyes on this part. Above poster recommended that I am looking to rebuild my lock cylinder, but that's not exactly right. The lock cylinder functions fine, it works smooth and locks/unlocks as it should. The part I am looking for is the black plastic housing for the liftgate lock cylinder. It has two ears with holes that attach using the studs in the liftgate. One of the ears has broken off from the "retainer" and when you push the lock cylinder in to open the glass, it goes in ****ed and it sticks in. I have to use the key to pull it back out.

Is the part in the above link the one I'm looking for? It lists a liftgate lock cylinder retainer, but its pretty cheap? Anyone else agree that this looks like the right part??

First of all you should actually take off the rear hatch trim panel and determine what is going on. It's not too difficult and you can leave it off for a long time if you have to.

The part I am looking for is the black plastic housing for the liftgate lock cylinder. It has two ears with holes that attach using the studs in the liftgate. One of the ears has broken off from the "retainer"

Before buying any parts you should at least try using some plastic epoxy (Note: plastic specific epoxy not generic epoxy). You can get it for around $5 from a hardware store and it works decently. You can use super glue to hold the two pieces together at the break seam, and then apply the epoxy around the exterior of the seam. Perhaps also using a washer to help distribute pressure around that point when installed.

If that fails the next best option is a junkyard. They would let you test it on the spot and find one intact. Plus it should be pretty cheap. It looks like the black plastic retainer is held onto the lock cylinder via a circlip on the fore side. So you could separate the junkyard retainer and install your lock in it.

If that fails you can literally make a new piece out of acrylic resin and a mold for around $50 ($30 for the resin, $10 for mold material, $10 for hardener and taxes).

But I would actually get eyes on the problem before spending a dime.

Fixed it

I couldn't determine the correct part to order so I used a little "Yankee Ingenuity". Made a cradle out of predrilled bracing like you would use on a garage opener framing. I placed holes where the two studs are and then made 90 degree bends around the back of the plastic cylinder housing. Works great, and the price was right -- $0. I don't normally like to patch things up like that but this fix should do for the rest of the life of the truck. I've got a couple of pictures if anyone is interested I can post them on photobucket.

I tried gluing first with epoxy but it wasn't going to do the job.

Ciao

First of all you should actually take off the rear hatch trim panel and determine what is going on. It's not too difficult and you can leave it off for a long time if you have to.

<< I had it off for the past two weekends ;) >>

Before buying any parts you should at least try using some plastic epoxy (Note: plastic specific epoxy not generic epoxy). You can get it for around $5 from a hardware store and it works decently. You can use super glue to hold the two pieces together at the break seam, and then apply the epoxy around the exterior of the seam. Perhaps also using a washer to help distribute pressure around that point when installed.

If that fails the next best option is a junkyard. They would let you test it on the spot and find one intact. Plus it should be pretty cheap. It looks like the black plastic retainer is held onto the lock cylinder via a circlip on the fore side. So you could separate the junkyard retainer and install your lock in it.

If that fails you can literally make a new piece out of acrylic resin and a mold for around $50 ($30 for the resin, $10 for mold material, $10 for hardener and taxes).

But I would actually get eyes on the problem before spending a dime.

Cool! It's always nice to find effective fixes like that. Pictures off the problem/solution are always good.

Back