Hey guys.

I recently purchased the following:

KENWOOD eXcelon KFC-X688C 6x8 2-WAY 220W
KENWOOD CD/MP3 RECEIVER z828
2 - 2001 Rockford Fosgate Punch 800.2 Amp
INFINITY Kappa 5x7" 6x8" Car SPEAKERS 572.3cf
2 15" Solo Barics (box being built)
Face plate and amp bypass kit

I own a 2000 XLT that came with the premium sound package. I want to put the 6x8's in the front and the 5x7's in the back doors. My HU has a front, rear, and sub pre-amp out.

Can someone tell me whether or not I should get amps to power the door speakers? Will I need x-overs? If I need amp(s) what sizes in RMS? Will I need cap(s)? Any suprises for me when I try to put the door speakers in - as in any special things I need? Any recommendations with the rear solo barics? ANY INFORMATION is appreciated. Please message me on AOL or ICQ if you have time to talk. You guys are the best.

--Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, you might wanna pick up a 1 farad cap......but put all your stuff in and you will be able to tell if you need one

also, the speakers will sound soooo much better than the stock ones, but if you amped them they will really come alive. i have the infinities you bought in my truck and theya re greta getting like 8- watts or so. get a good 80x4 or something like that amp. also, i dont know about the kenwoods, but the infinity speakers come with external crossovers

all you need for the doos speakers is a good 2 channel amp to hook up to the fronts. let the rears run off the headunit. maybe get a 50X2 amp or a 75X2.

Joe - Will you let us know how the Infinitys work out? I am thinking about getting some and would like to know if they are worth the $$$.

Bought another amp

Hey.

I took your advice and bought an amp for the rear speakers, here it is:

Dead Link Removed

The front speakers can only handle 55 rms so should i get a 50w x 2 amp for them?

I'll let you know how they sound!

Joe

Definitely amp the fronts if it is in your budget. All these guys will agree that they are the most important sound stage. A 50W X 2 would work great and you can get them really cheap on Ebay.

Amp for the fronts

I just bought this amp for the fronts:

Dead Link Removed

Bolt 150.2

make sure you ahve the better speakers and more powerful amp for the front stage. the rear isn't nearly as important.

fronts

So the KENWOOD eXcelon KFC-X688C 6x8 2-WAY 220W 55 rms for the front with the Lightning Audio 150 Watt Car Stereo Amplifier aren't enough for the front?

i'm not saying that they aren't enough. they are a great pair of speakers. but you should probably put the more powerful amp on the front speakers. and set the high pass crossover so the lows (which will be handled by the subs anyway) wont distort or damage your front speakers.

Originally posted by aggieEB
Joe - Will you let us know how the Infinitys work out? I am thinking about getting some and would like to know if they are worth the $$$.

I just installed the same model Infinitys in mine. If you have an EQ I would recommend them; they have a well earned reputation for having "harsh" sounding highs. It's not that they distort or can't handle the upper frequencys, they just sound kind of "tinny" and a EQ helps tremendously in tuning them for your likes.

The Polk DX7's seem to be a crowd favorite as well as Kenwood Excelons. I would probably recommend the Polk's if you don't have the EQ.

BTW, the Kappas have an adjustable tweeter that lets you aim the tweeter the direction you want it. they also have an external crossover you have to mount in the door. I don't think the Polk's do.

could i reccomend something??

put the infintiy's up front and the kenwoods in the back....it will sound a lot cleaner IMO

door speakers

Don't get me wrong, I would love to reverse the speakers and put the ones with the higher RMS ratings in the front but I don't think they'll fit according to crutchfield. Anyone disagree? Thanks so much for all your help guys.

Joe

I don't know about the 2000 Explorer, but I believe Crutchfield also says the Kappas won't fit the '98 either, but I installed them with room to spare. Actually, I posted a pic of where I measured the available depth to be 2-1/2" and the Kappas are 2-1/4" I believe.

I guess I'll try...

I guess I'll try putting the louder ones in the front! I'm taking pics of everthing as I install it and I'll put up a whole series in case anyone's interested!

Joe

good luck man, the kappas should fit, and they will sound a hell of a lot better

kmac - you said get the polks, will those fit in the rear doors? Your X should be the same config as mine. Do you have those in your rear doors? Of course Crutchfield says they will not fit.

I don't know about your year, but for my 2001 Sport the Kappa 572.3's DO fit in the front and sound incredible!

Peace,

Jordan23

crutchfield isn't very reliable. the infinity and polk speakers will fit any doors of any year explorer.

according to crutchfield, i cant put a CD player in the dash of my 92:rolleyes: but that was the first thing i did when i got it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should be able to fit any 5x7 or 6x8 speakers in the front or back....regaurdless of what any stupid site will tell you

Back