please help me | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please help me

not2old2type

Reaction score
City, State
showlow Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
i have a 2000 explorer i just put new tires on it and now the front dif gets so hot you cant touch it it is an all wheel drive and did not have this problem before the tires were changed any ideas why thanks for the help:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
Check to make sure all the tires are the correct size. I've seen quite a few posts here over the years with stories of the tire shop mixing up the tire sizes. If your Ex is a 4X4/AWD and the front tires are not matched, the resultant difference in rotational speed will play havoc with your differential.

Just curious... how exactly did you bring yourself to go out and check the front diff?

If all the tires are the right size... might wanna change the fluid? It may be contaminated..

thanks to everybody come to find out when they changed my tires they put 255 on the back and 225 on the front got them changed to 255 and now everything works fine

Front to back tire size diff shouldn't have effected the front diff., it should have effected the transfer case. Doesn't make sense.

Had to have been only 1 wrong size on front. I'm curios as well, why did you think to feel the front diff? Was it smoking or glowing? If it was, I would definitely be having the tire shop pay for a fluid swap, that is not an easy job.

Front to back tire size diff shouldn't have effected the front diff., it should have effected the transfer case. Doesn't make sense.

It's an all wheel drive.

Back