Please Help! MERCON ATF 2002 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help! MERCON ATF 2002 Ranger

George W

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4X4
Hello,
I need some in general info on ATF. Is Mercon Clear colored ATF the same as Dexron-III? I'm asking this because I have a qt of DEXRON-III/MERCON that is red in color and smells completely different then the fluid I have in the TC and power steering , Clear in color and smells more like oil, or should I say looks and smell just like pre 2004 Mopar power steering fluid I have a qt of. This would be used in a 2002 Ford Ranger transfer case we just picked up. . I have tons of Mopar fluids on hand and some Napa stuff too.. The biggest issue I'm having is with the color and smell of the two.. I have no drain plug on the TC and want to make sure they would be compatible.. The manual said in it that MERCON and MERCON V are not compatible and MERCON V should not be used.. What should I use. I'm leaning to the Napa Premium/ ATF DEXRON-III/MERCON fluid I have to top the TC off with.. Should this be done? Thanks! George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering if maybe I posted this question on the wrong boards? Is there a better place for me to post this question that is frequented more by people who would know the answer? Thanks! George

Hello,
I need some in general info on ATF. Is Mercon Clear colored ATF the same as Dexron-III? I'm asking this because I have a qt of DEXRON-III/MERCON that is red in color and smells completely different then the fluid I have in the TC and power steering , Clear in color and smells more like oil, or should I say looks and smell just like pre 2004 Mopar power steering fluid I have a qt of. This would be used in a 2002 Ford Ranger transfer case we just picked up. . I have tons of Mopar fluids on hand and some Napa stuff too.. The biggest issue I'm having is with the color and smell of the two.. I have no drain plug on the TC and want to make sure they would be compatible.. The manual said in it that MERCON and MERCON V are not compatible and MERCON V should not be used.. What should I use. I'm leaning to the Napa Premium/ ATF DEXRON-III/MERCON fluid I have to top the TC off with.. Should this be done? Thanks! George

Dexron-3/Mercon specs are just about identical.. The transfer case probably came with Mercon the Power steering may also as well. If in doubt just use a vacuum pump or similar item to suck the old fluid out and put fresh fluid in.

Blee109,

Thank You for your reply! I have the Napa "Dexron-3/Mercon" on hand so I'll use that.. I have been doing some hunting on the net and I came across some TSB's on the switch Ford made from Mercon to Mercon-V .. Still I had to wonder with the owners manual for the Ranger saying the two were not compatible and Do not mix the two.. My way of thinking was also to draw out the bulk of the old fluid before adding anything that was not the same..
Also If Dexron-3/Mercon are closest to the original Mercon why not stick with it.. The Ranger has 116,000 miles on it but runs drives like new still nice and tight with plenty of power and then some.. It looks to be in great shape inside and out with the under side having a minimum of rust starting.. I also changed out the oil and used Ford 5W-3OW semi synthetic with a new ford filter.. Picked up some new Autolite platinum plugs "OEM" according to the reference book in Walmart..Got a air filter too..
Plan on going a bit slower for hoses, belt and other fluids till the Ranger can prove itself to me . Thought it looks and drives great I really don't know how well it was maintained.. We had two other Rangers that we got new so I know Ford makes a great truck.. Any input would be great!! Thanks again!! George

Just wondering if maybe I posted this question on the wrong boards? Is there a better place for me to post this question that is frequented more by people who would know the answer? Thanks! George

Even though it's a Ranger, this thread could possibly get more responses if it was moved to the transmission forum. If you would like it moved, say so here and one of us Moderators will move it.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

RangerX,

I would like to hear from others.. Sure let's try moving it to the transmission forum !! Thank you!! George

Done! :D

George, my 99 Ranger 4.0 OHV calls for Mercon V only. So that's what I use.

Hello,

Mercon V is for transmissions and 1996+ power steering systems. It is Red like Mercon, but smells different and is synthetic with special friction modifiers.

Mercon V is not suggested by motorcraft to use in a transfer case. It probably won't blow up but its not what they suggest. If What you have has a MERCON/DEXTRON spec you are golden for a transfer case BUT NOT a transmission.

here is the official word:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...teering%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid

1ST THING Mercon and Mercon V are NOT usually clear, Mercon is normally a bright red and Mercon V is a duller slightly orangey red.

Ford current recommendations are affected by the fact that Ford (like GM) let the LICENSE to use the brand name Mercon/Dexron lapse without renewing it (and having to PAY for it). The first run of Mercon V was NOT backwards compatible with mercon/dexron (after market designation as Ford or GM would just use their brand name only) after Ford decided to let the license go they made/designated Mercon V as backward compatible in transmissions as it was the only fluid they were allowed to mention or use.

To sum up:
If your fluid in your owners manual says Mercon you have to use a fluid that says on the bottle Mercon compatible.

If it says Mercon V you can only use a fluid that is Mercon V compatible.

If a bottle of Mercon V says it is Mercon compatible AS WELL then according to Ford you can use it as though it was Mercon or Mercon V.

The jury is still out as to whether Mercon V (Mercon compatible) in a older Mercon application causes any harm. As the license for Mercon/Dexron expired in 2005/2006 it should be conclusive if it causes short term damage (does not appear to) and there does not seem to be evidence it does.

I have no drain plug on the TC and want to make sure they would be compatible.
The drain plug is hidden behind the vibration damper on the back of the case. Remove the 4 bolts and the damper to access it.

Wow,, All great info!! And thank you Bob for letting me know where to find the drain plug on the TC.. That would be much easier and faster for me then trying to pull out the old fluid with a 2oz fluid draw syringe..
Kona, That's making me feel better with going with the Napa Dexron-III/Mercon fluid.. Don't know why the old stuff don't have the smell of ATF? In any case it's raining here and 36degs out now but will change it out today if weather improves.. It suppose too!! Manual said 1.25qts, Does that sound about right? Looks like it would hold more! I know to fill to the fill hole just want to make sure I have enough on hand.. I think I have 4 or 5 qts of the stuff around here.. I also us it for my log splitter in this neck of the woods.. Thanks again guy's!! George

amount in the manual is right :)

Update!

OK I jacked up the front of the truck and pulled the drain plug on the TC.. The bulk of what came out was clear to light amber with not much of any smell to it. The last 8oz or so being brown.. I know water.. But there was not much.. I refiled it with the Napa Dexron-III /Mercon brand ATF.. Book said it would take 1.25qts.. On level ground it took 1 1/2qts.. I then measured the old fluid to see just how low it was and found it had a strong full Qt. in it.. So it was not to low.. I didn't drive it yet. Will the level go down after the pump pulls it up? I'll drive it for a few weeks and re post here if I remember too.. Ya I know the diffs will need to get dome sooner now knowing there was a tad of water in the TC but at least they were full.. Please if anyone has anything to add to this feel free... Thank you all for your help with this it has been a pleasure and I'm sure I'll be posting here all the time as I get into it all a bit more!! Again Thank You All!! :thumbsup: George

P.S. the tyranny does take Mercon-V and when checking it it looks good and dark translucent red with the smell of good fresh normal ATF I'm familiar with. No sine of water in the tranny fluid.. I believe it would look pink like a pink milk shake if there was water in it.. So I think I should be good to go for now!

RangerX
Bill,
Thank you for moving the thread. Great idea! I have been looking around here and see there is a ton of info here.. With all of what I have done cover documented with pictures and all..Very nice! ATF was gone over too.. I just didn't know where to look..
Thanks again! George

Back