PLEASE HELP NEEDED QUICKLY! Tranny fluid leaks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP NEEDED QUICKLY! Tranny fluid leaks

1992fordgreen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Inside the Rehabilitation Center
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
I was filling my Explorer with tranny fluid and all the sudden a whole bunch just came out and its still going now. I have added about 6.5 litres of ATF and the overflow just belched a ton all over the place. WTH!!!!! What is going on? The hoses and metal cooler lines havent been touched for over a year what could have went wrong!

Please help!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the engine running as you were filling? If not, the pump is not sucking it in from the pan, and once the pan is full (about 4 qts), the rest just goes out the overflow tube.
I was filling my Explorer with tranny fluid and all the sudden a whole bunch just came out and its still going now. I have added about 6.5 litres of ATF and the overflow just belched a ton all over the place. WTH!!!!! What is going on? The hoses and metal cooler lines havent been touched for over a year what could have went wrong!

Please help!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

The vehicle was not on. I think what I'll do is run the engine a little bit to get the fluid into the tranny...interesting, I never had this issue and this is the third time ive filled it this year.

Check the fluid level with the engine running while it's in park before you add more fluid. It might be overfilled even though most of it ran out. The level is lower when it's cold than when it's hot. Never add fluid with the engine off.

The vehicle was not on. I think what I'll do is run the engine a little bit to get the fluid into the tranny...interesting, I never had this issue and this is the third time ive filled it this year.

Maybe this has been the problem the whole time, its just been low on fluid! :eek:

It will probably work just fine now unless it damaged some frictions. :D

Maybe this has been the problem the whole time, its just been low on fluid! :eek:

It will probably work just fine now unless it damaged some frictions. :D
So can you please educate me on how "this" could be the problem the entire time? :D So the pump is supposed to pull the fluid in when I pour it all in? Battery is completely drained right now as well...

I appreciate your help all the way!

So can you please educate me on how "this" could be the problem the entire time? :D So the pump is supposed to pull the fluid in when I pour it all in? Battery is completely drained right now as well...

I appreciate your help all the way!

Your problem started right after you replaced shift solenoid C right? You have been battling this transmission for a while now, even talked of selling the truck. It very well could be the entire issue you have been having with this thing the whole time.

Is it possible that you filled the transmission without the engine running and checking the transmission with the engine off like you would the engine ever since the solenoid replacement?

Low fluid can cause all kinds of different problems, flares during shift, falling out of gear, even set solenoid codes as well. Its also the fastest way to damage the transmission too.

Just think it might be fixed, finally.:thumbsup:

Your problem started right after you replaced shift solenoid C right? You have been battling this transmission for a while now, even talked of selling the truck. It very well could be the entire issue you have been having with this thing the whole time.

Is it possible that you filled the transmission without the engine running and checking the transmission with the engine off like you would the engine ever since the solenoid replacement?

Low fluid can cause all kinds of different problems, flares during shift, falling out of gear, even set solenoid codes as well. Its also the fastest way to damage the transmission too.

Just think it might be fixed, finally.:thumbsup:
Good to hear. Good news I hope!

I did not have the engine running while filling the tranny. I was going to run it after I put the rest of the 3.78 litres into the trans but it leaked before I could. (and the battery was drained needed charging) I had put about 6.5 litres in when it leaked. I went to put like .5 litres of ATF, immediately, it all leaked out, but not from the dipstick or tranny cooler lines, it all went out of the overflow tube.

Now putting the pieces together, it does seem like this is the logical solution! We got the transmission working 99% except foer that shift flare due to a slow SS3. Replaced ,it, issues galore. Maybe it WAS fluid the entire time...

Question: Does the engine have to be running to fill the tranny up? I NEVER have. Maybe this is the entire issue...:eek:

I do run the vehicle when checking the level BUT you cant tell worth squat with the dipstick. Its so hard to tell!

Thanks JK!

The engine needs to be running to fill and check the transmission fluid level, it also needs to be at operating temp and the fluid level need to fall in between the "full" or "hot" markings on the dipstick. Something like this.

M-FORD01-5-1.jpg

I do run the vehicle when checking the level BUT you cant tell worth squat with the dipstick. Its so hard to tell!

It can be deceiving, sometimes it might show high on one side and low on the other, ALWAYS go by the lower of the two levels.

The engine needs to be running to fill and check the transmission fluid level, it also needs to be at operating temp and the fluid level need to fall in between the "full" or "hot markings on the dipstick. Something like this.

M-FORD01-5-1.jpg

It can be deceiving, sometimes it might show high on one side and low on the other, ALWAYS go by the lower of the two levels.

I really appreciate it thank you. Ill give it my best shot!

So just to make sure, what causes the fluid to come out the overflow? It's because the engine isnt running when being filled, correct? This hasnt happened before when I filled it...interesting

Transmission fluid needs to be circulating, it needs to fill the converter, cooler lines, cooler, ect. If air is trapped then the fluid can't fill those areas. You can only fill the converter half full when its on its side, right?

If you take a glass and turn it upside down and push it underwater, the water cant fill the glass due to the air pushing the water out, same thing here.

You mentioned that it's hard to tell on the dipstick. Most likely because the fluid level is too low to show at all. What you see is fluid from the side of the tube. Once you have enough fluid it will show on the stick.

Also, your stick likely has 2 measurements. 1 for cold and 1 for hot. If you look closely on both sides you will see the hash marks that do NOT align for the different temperatures.

add about 1/2 a quart at a time while its running. Once it hits the stick you'll see it and know you're on track. The transmission will act totally different too.

Good Luck!

Check the fluid level with the engine running while it's in park before you add more fluid. It might be overfilled even though most of it ran out. The level is lower when it's cold than when it's hot. Never add fluid with the engine off.
I missed this before I asked, Thanks.

Transmission fluid needs to be circulating, it needs to fill the converter, cooler lines, cooler, ect. If air is trapped then the fluid can't fill those areas. You can only fill the converter half full when its on its side, right?

If you take a glass and turn it upside down and push it underwater, the water cant fill the glass due to the air pushing the water out, same thing here.
Understand it now. Thanks. One more question, even if the tranny is empty, like bone dry completely drained, does the engine have to be running to fill the transmission?

You mentioned that it's hard to tell on the dipstick. Most likely because the fluid level is too low to show at all. What you see is fluid from the side of the tube. Once you have enough fluid it will show on the stick.

Also, your stick likely has 2 measurements. 1 for cold and 1 for hot. If you look closely on both sides you will see the hash marks that do NOT align for the different temperatures.

add about 1/2 a quart at a time while its running. Once it hits the stick you'll see it and know you're on track. The transmission will act totally different too.

Good Luck!
Ok. Thanks for the advice. It all makes sense now. It's next to inconcievable to make out what level is on the dipstick because the fluid is so pink and transparent, while the dipstick is as clean as a baby.

Thanks yall will report back with the result!

Understand it now. Thanks. One more question, even if the tranny is empty, like bone dry completely drained, does the engine have to be running to fill the transmission?

I pour in about 6 to 8 quarts first then start the engine then pour in a couple more. Start checking the level with the dipstick until full COLD. Take it for a drive to get it warm and fill it until full HOT, sometimes you may have to get a little back out.

This is only after a rebuild, you can't really get all the fluid out once it has had fluid in it.

In your case start the engine first.

I pour in about 6 to 8 quarts first then start the engine then pour in a couple more. Start checking the level with the dipstick until full COLD. Take it for a drive to get it warm and fill it until full HOT, sometimes you may have to get a little back out.

This is only after a rebuild, you can't really get all the fluid out once it has had fluid in it.

In your case start the engine first.
Excellent. We didn't start out properly then. We just filled it and drove it.

Just wondering....why are you using so much fluid? Do you have a leak?

Just wondering....why are you using so much fluid? Do you have a leak?
Im not using more than usual. Though, the transfer case has been leaking even with a new gasket since install, but barely, a drip a week or so...

Just been using about 9.8 quarts every time I drop tuhe pan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so different minor issue. As you know, the tranny leaked a lot of fluid, but there is no way of telling how much fluid came out. Looked to be between 1.5 - 3.5 quarts...probably on the lower side. Anyways, I had the car running to warm up for about 10 minutes then I checked the fluid level, the dipstick read that it was just below the first circle. (It had less than 6 quarts inside) so I idled the vehicle a little more then filled it up with a bit more. Maybe another quart and a half. Now the dipstick is reading a little over full. I know for a fact I haven't put as much as Im supposed to, should I just drive it and risk wearing the clutches inside the trans away...? I know it's kinda a n00b question...:D

Back