Please Help. Stock alarm on 1996 randomly goes off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help. Stock alarm on 1996 randomly goes off

mdt623

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I have a 1996 Explorer XLT. I have had it for about 10 years and still love it. I also am on my 2nd 2005 Explorer XLT.

Anyway on my 1996 the stock alarm is going off at random times (middle of the night (twice last night), daytime in parking lots, etc). This has been going on for about a week. I would like to disable the alarm completely and still be able to use the key fob for the locks.

Any advice or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this same problem with my '04 Sable. It has to sit outside and I think the neighbors have had about enough of the late night/early morning horn honking...so, I leave it unlocked all the time. Tried lubricating the locks...still have the problem. Tried researching how to disable it and, if I recall correctly, it couldn't be done without interfering with the operation of some other functions.

Would also be very interested to hear if anyone has some insight on how to bypass or disable it.

I dunno if my 96 had a factory or aftermarket alarm, but the first thing I did when I got it (used) 13 years ago was take it to a car electronics shop to be removed. Cost $50 and 30 mins. No problems at all.

In the past, my factory alarm started going off by itself at random times.

I replaced the aging battery with a new Diehard Gold. Alarm never went off by itself after that.

I'm pretty sure if you lock it with the key you don't set the alarm.

Pretty sure, not 100%.

Locking with the key also sets the alarm. On my 1997, it was the hood switch that was causing the alarm to go off at random times - especially if it was wet out. I glued a penny above the switch so it pushed the plunger down a little farther - that was over a year ago and no false alarms since. Good luck.

I believe that the factory alarm sets no matter how you lock it. But I have not tested that theory out for all conditions.

Back